New
Find
Notify
Tools

Civic Federation Plans for 2003-2004
 Login/Join 
<Ken Marcus>
posted
The Arlington Civic Federation's President, Dan Krasnegor, has distributed the following message describing the Federation's planning for the Federation's upcoming fiscal year, which is about to begin. As Krasnegor explains, the Federation is seeking input from member organizations, including North Rosslyn, about the issues about which we are concerned. In addition, he lists the various Federation committees for which North Rosslyn members are eligible.

If you have particular concerns that you would like to raise, please feel free either to raise them in this forum, or to convey them to our North Rosslyn Federation representatives and board members. Currently, our Delegates are Stephanie Marcus, Stephanie Benefield, David Lubs and John Seal. I serve as an alternate delegate and was recently elected to the Federation's Executive Committee. Additional opportunities exist for more North Rosslyn members who wish to become involved in the Federation and to influence the direction it takes in the coming year.

Mr. Krasnegor's message is as follows:

Greetings.

The Civic Federation will be meeting on our regular date next month, Tuesday, July 1st at Virginia Hospital Center. This meeting will be different than most of our meetings--the purpose is to involve our member organizations in planning for the 2003-2004 year. It will not be a formal meeting in the sense that we will not be passing resolutions, debating an issue, or hearing from a panel. Instead, we will have a forum where you--our member organizations--can let Federation committees, including the Executive committee, and the Federation's officers, know what issues and subjects you want the Federation to pursue over the next year.

As many of you know, the Federation can be a very effective way to bring issues of importance in our community to the attention of our civic and political leaders. We can often have influence on how a new ordinance is written, or applied. Many matters of concern to our members are below the radar screen right now. The Federation can serve to bring these matters into the conversation of civic discourse. I have spoken to many of you privately, encouraging further involvement in the Federation so that it can work to further your goals. The July meeting is the kick off event of a year that I hope will see the Federation working for you. The information your organization provides will the base from which we will plan programs, and give direction to our committees as they investigate issues and propose resolutions. The meeting will also feature opportunities to get involved at the committee level, and to learn about what our Best Practices Task Force has been up to.

I'm writing to you today because you have been involved in leadership in one or more of our member organizations. We will be sending out a postcard early next week reminding all delegates and alternates of the meeting, however, I want to make two requests of you before then.

First, in order to prepare for the meeting, I am asking for your input in advance. Please let me know, by e-mail, what issues your organization thinks are the most pressing at the neighborhood, county, state, and national level. Which of these issues do you think would be appropriate for a forum? For a resolution? For investigation by a committee?

Second, please identify members of your organization who will be able to attend the July meeting, and who can be involved on the committee level. Participation from all of our members at the July meeting is critical. If the Federation doesn't hear from your organization, we won't know what it is that you care about in the community. We won't be able to work for you. Most of what the Federation accomplishes begins with our committees. There is an opportunity for in-depth discussion, education, and action at the committee level that is not possible at our regular meetings. We currently have fifteen active committees. They are:

1. Airport Issues
2. Bylaws
3. Community Relations
4. Cultural Affairs
5. Environmental Affairs
6. Housing
7. Legislation
8. Membership
9. Parks and Recreation
10. Planning and Zoning
11. Public Services
12. Scholarship
13. Schools
14. Special Events
15. Transportation

In addition, the Executive Committee has voted to organize a new committee to address issues involving governance, covering organization and effectiveness of our County Government.

Over the summer, we will be setting up on-line discussion groups for each committee. The groups will allow for anyone interested in the committee to know what issues are being discussed, and when meetings will take place. The groups will also allow for member organizations to participate by suggesting new matters that should be considered by the committee. At the meeting, information will be available to further explain this process. Again, think of which committee discussion boards you would like to be part of, and who in your group would like to be included.

I look forward to seeing you and/or other representatives from your organization at the July meeting!

Dan Krasnegor
ACCF President

P.S. Please forward this message along to others in your organization that may also be able to provide input.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ken Marcus>
posted
At this week's Civic Federation meeting, North Rosslyn requested that the Federation take up two issues -- the proposed Conference Center and College Student Housing -- in addition to the various traffic, parking, development, planning, and other issues that other associations have proposed.

The Federation reminded us that all members of the North Rosslyn Civic Association are eligible to participate in any of the Federation's committees (which are listed above). For example, the Budget Committee, which is not listed above, is actively recruiting new members, and the Housing Committee apparently could use some additional people. North Rosslyn's Civic Federation delegates and alternates are also eligible to serve as committee chairs. Currently, for example, the newly created Governance Committee has a vacant chair.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post