Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crosswalk on Ft. Myer Drive
 Login/Join

posted
At NRCA's most recent meeting, one of the possible "community benefits" considered was a HAWK (High-Intensity Activated crossWalK) across Ft. Myer Drive near the rear entrance of the Metro Station. We mentioned at the meeting that we'd previously raised the issue with Council Member Libby Garvey at a Town Hall meeting. Following, fyi, is an email exchange with the County's transportation staff that was triggered by the Town Hall Meeting. You will see that staff is adamantly opposed to a HAWK:

On Nov 25, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Geoffrey and Susan Vincent <vincentsg@mac.com> wrote:

Dear Ms. Wilkinson,

Thank you for your detailed response to our concerns about pedestrians crossing Ft. Myer Drive near the rear entrance of the Rosslyn Metro Station. This is an important matter with implications for traffic flow, pedestrian safety and the goal of making Rosslyn an attractive, inviting and "walkable" community. It is clear the Transportation Division has given this issue serous consideration, and we appreciate the steps that already have been taken, such as reducing the speed limit to 25 mph. However, we do want to respond to a few of the points made in your email.

To begin with, we were not the first to use the term "chain link fence" at the Town Hall meeting with Ms. Garvey on Nov. 3, 2013. The term was used several times, including by Ms. Garvey, and never corrected. While the type of fence you described in your email is a more visually attractive alternative, we seriously doubt it will deter many of the people who now jaywalk in this area. In particular, we think it is unlikely to slow the many students from the Art Institute who regularly cross Ft. Myer Drive to access the Metro.

Second, you reference the "acceleration zone" for traffic starting from the intersection with 19th Street. You also note that the mid-block area is less than 250 feet from that intersection. Assuming a properly enforced 25 mph speed limit, how fast should cars be traveling at that point?

Third, you say that "the bridge supports block the visibility of pedestrians from drivers if they are crossing between the supports and the tunnel wall." This should be a non-issue if the crossing were to be placed in front of the bridge supports, which happens to be the logical crossing point, anyway

Based on your email, the Transportation Division seems to have taken a firm position against a HAWK signal. We hope the County eventually determines such a crossing is the right solution for this challenging area. It would be a strong vote in support of a walkable community.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey & Susan Vincent
1555 N. Colonial Terrace, #400
Arlington, VA 22209
703-528-3530

On Nov 20, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Andrea Wilkinson <Awilkinson@arlingtonva.us> wrote:

Mr. and Mrs. Vincent,

On behalf of Arlington County Board Member Libby Garvey, I’d like to address the comments you submitted at a recent Town Hall meeting regarding the illegal pedestrian crossing on Ft Myer Dr south of 19th St N. Your comments included opposition of a chain link fence, a request to lower speed limits, increase enforcement of speed limits, better signage, and possible installation of a HAWK signal at this location.

The fence that will be installed on the medians extending from the tunnel walls and the bridge supports is not planned to be a chain link fence. Installations of fencing to discourage unsafe pedestrian crossing at other locations in the County have been successful in increasing safety on the roadways. Examples can be seen on Fairfax Dr near the Ballston Metro station and on Wilson Blvd near the Ballston Mall entrance. The fencing on Fairfax Dr can be viewed in this link: http://goo.gl/maps/bHJhN.

Speed limits have recently been lowered on Ft Myer Dr to 25 miles per hour. The lower speed limits were passed by the County Board on October 19th. Prominent signs with an orange “New” plaque have been attached to both of the bridge supports. A picture taken on November 12th is attached. Police are aware of the new speed limits and are enforcing them at the location.

A HAWK signal will not be installed at this location. The mid-block area is too close to a signal-controlled intersection (less than 250 feet) for a HAWK signal to operate properly and safely. Marked crosswalks are not recommended less than 300 feet from a controlled intersection for the safety of pedestrians. This location in particular includes several additional factors which make pedestrian crossing safety a concern if pedestrians are encouraged to cross through the installation of signs and markings. The medians that extend from the tunnel walls and bridge supports are not wide enough to provide a pedestrian refuge. Therefore, there are five travel lanes and two parking lanes to traverse without any pedestrian refuge if a pedestrian misjudges approaching traffic or if vehicles enter the roadway between the intersection of 19th St N and the proposed crossing location. The short distance between the intersection and the proposed crossing location is within the acceleration zone for traffic starting from the signal at 19th, which makes the speed of approaching traffic more difficult for pedestrians to judge. In addition, the bridge supports block the visibility of pedestrians from drivers if they are crossing between the supports and the tunnel wall. Lastly, because of the split in the travel lanes at this location, this is also a merging and decision zone for drivers, in which drivers are likely to be focusing on which lane to choose and less attention would be on pedestrians. If the County were to install signs and markings to legalize the crossing, it would indicate to pedestrians that this has been determined to be a safe crossing by the County and would provide a false sense of security to pedestrians. Understanding that pedestrians may seek the shortest distance for crossing regardless of the inherent dangers, we find the installation of a physical barrier to prevent crossing a necessity at this location.

Thank you for submitting your concerns at the Town Hall meeting, and please let me know if you have further questions on this issue.

Regards,
Andrea

Andrea L. Wilkinson
Transportation Engineer
Division of Transportation
Department of Environmental Services
Phone: 703-228-3564
E-Mail: awilkinson@arlingtonva.us

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
with the new fence up today on ft myer drive, people still jaywalked but just further down, then still cut through the gas station. i have mixed feelings about the fence. i understand it is about safety. but i wish the overhead crosswalk was a more convenient option.

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've captured my sentiments exactly. The fence is only making it more dangerous to jaywalk, it is not fixing the problem. Several people were on their way across the battlefield yesterday afternoon, myself included -- trying to minimize getting soaked by the rain.

NRCA is still pushing for a signalized mid-block crossing on Ft. Myer (which crossing would be consistent with the present draft of the Rosslyn Sector Plan update), and for extended hours in the mall next to Metro so that their escalator to the skywalk level will be available more consistently.

Jennifer

Posts: 285 | Registered: January 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I don't think that it is any safer, just more dangerous. In addition, they have not yet re-opened the escalator that goes down to the metro -- the escalator that people use if they actually do take the overhead crosswalk past the church entrance. Thus, people who use the overhead crosswalk (like I did today) then have to go into the Rosslyn mall entrance, down the escalator there, and through the food court to get to the metro. It takes a lot longer to do this than it does to jaywalk, even if there is a lot of traffic.

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just so you (and everyone else) knows, that escalator down to the metro lobby is gone for good. Despite extraordinary lobbying by the community (including a piece on Channel 8, etc.), the forces that be are planning to install a long granite staircase in its place.
So much for Arlington's "Car Free Diet."

Jennifer

Posts: 285 | Registered: January 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident
posted Hide Post
They're getting rid of that escalator? I wait every day for it to reopen! I also jaywalk every day now. It's insane that the county would expect people to walk all the way to the corner when there is a metro exit right at the midpoint of the two streets and there used to be a safe (and popular) overhead walkway.

Jennifer, your point "So much for Arlington's 'Car Free Diet'" is spot-on. They've made it safer and easier for me to drive the .3 miles to metro than to walk! I'd like to know what kind of drive-aholic pressure they're succumbing to.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRCA First Vice-President
posted Hide Post
Hi neighbors,

I recently wrote a note to the County Board regarding access to the Rosslyn Metro via the skywalk and through the Metro Mall. I reminded Mary Hynes that we were assured access through the mall at all Metro hours - which as many of you know has not been a reality. The mall doors are being locked long before Metro closes, quite a disincentive for using the safest and fastest route to the metro from our neighborhood. In response to my letter, Assistant County Manager, Wilfredo Calderon, has reported that the mall's management established a new time schedule by which the mall will be open until midnight 7 days a week, starting on 6/2. In turn, I reminded him that the metro is open later on Friday and Saturday, so we expect the mall to be open for those hours as well.

Before he addresses the past-midnight issue, he would like us to confirm that the mall is now open until midnight, as currently expected.

Has anyone tried using the skywalk/mall pass-through this week? Have you had any problems? Please let me know.

Thanks!
Katie

Posts: 60 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRCA Director
posted Hide Post
I have been in correspondence with Emad Elmagraby of the Dept. of Community planning about the hours of the Clover building and about the timing of the opening of the staircase down to the metro. This is the staircase that is to replace the escalator lost to Commuter store construction. I was assured that an Inspector would go out and check on the situation. I will post when I learn more. Terri Prell

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRCA Director
posted Hide Post
We contact the contractor and he said the stair and the Commuter store will be finish and open by November.

Emad Elmagraby, P. E, C.B.O.
Field Services Section Chief
Arlington County Government
Dept. of Community, Planning, Housing and Development
Inspection Services Division
2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1000
Arlington, VA 22201
Tel: 703.228.7094
Fax: 703.228.7046

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post