Find
Notify
Tools

Colonial Terrace and Ode Street construction parking
 Login/Join

posted
Date: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:11:10 AM US/Eastern
To: Steve Bridgett
Cc: Kathryn Weathersby , Kenneth Marcus , Stephanie Marcus , Mary Schroeder , Dotty Dake , Mary Alice Gray ,
Subject: Re: parking restrictions near 1600 Colonial Terrace

Dear Mr. Bridgett,

Those I have spoken with in the North Rosslyn Civic Association strongly agree with Ms. Weathersby's position opposing the county proposed parking changes to accommodate construction on Colonial Terrace. Converting the 1 hour parking on North Ode Street between Key Blvd and Colonial Terrace to 2 hour parking or open parking would be a terrible decision. This change would result in Rosslyn commuters occupying these spaces from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Here are two alternative proposals: Convert the parking on the south side of N 19th street between Colonial Terrace and Ode street to 24 hour zone 4. These spaces are currently used by commuters. This would provide more spaces than are currently being taken by the construction, the spaces are just around the corner from the current spaces, the people effected already have Zone 4 permits, and it will help push commuter parking out of our residential neighborhood and return the street parking back to the residents.

Another proposal but not as desirable: Convert the parking along N Ode street to 24 hour zone 4. Provide the residents that live along N Ode (Rosslyn Mews, Highview) and in Highgate a two hour zone 4 visitor parking permit. This will allow the various vendors and contractors that provide services to the residents to have a place to park their large vans and service trucks.

Planning for the future: Some municipalities severely restrict allowing construction staging to take over public sidewalks and streets. They require the construction companies to use their own property for staging before spilling into the public right of way. If it is absolutely necessary to take over public right of way for construction, then the construction company is required to pay a fairly expensive "rental" of public right of way for each day the right of way is utilized for staging. This gives the construction company a large financial incentive to only utilize the right of way staging when absolutely necessary. The City of Minneapolis uses this approach and it has been incredibly successful in cutting down the time periods that streets and sidewalks have been blocked for construction. We would encourage Arlington County to consider this type of approach as construction projects continue to proliferate in our county.

Regards,

Paul Derby, Director
North Rosslyn Civic Association

************************************************************************************
On Tuesday, March 25, 2003, at 01:58 PM, Kathweath@aol.com wrote:

Hi Ken, Stephanie and Paul,

I'm forwarding to you the correspondence I've had with Steve Bridgett of the county's traffic division, about measures to provide parking spaces to replace temporarily the ones that are being lost by the construction on Colonial Terrace. As you can see, I recommended that the spaces on N. Ode be made zoned parking rather than simply eliminating the one hour restriction, as the county was planning to do.

The Civic Association may already be addressing this issue, but in case the information hasn't reached you, I wanted to be sure to pass it on.

It seems that the officials involved are open to input from the residents.

Best,

Kathryn

************************************************************************************
Date: Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:37:45 AM US/Eastern
To:
Cc: "Dotty Dake" , "Mary Alice Gray" ,
Subject: Re: parking restrictions near 1600 Colonial Terrace

Ms. Weathersby, Kathy Kilby is working with you on the issue of making that section of parking zoned parking. I don't know when she will be finished with her findings. The parking is empty most of the day with the 1hr restrictions on N. Ode St. and this would only be a temporary measure. I understand your concerns and they are correct, I will look for another area to help the residents on Colonial Terrace with parking issues.

Steven Bridgett
Department of Public Works
Traffic Engineering Division
Phone (703) 228-3730
Sbridg@co.arlington.va.us

>>> "Kathryn Weathersby" 03/21/03 04:05PM >>>
I received your message about the measures to be taken for the duration of the construction on Colonial Terrace. I am strongly opposed to simply removing the one hour restriction on N. Ode, because those spots would immediately fill with commuters and, in addition to causing problems for our houses, will not solve the problem for residents on Colonial Terrace. Why don't we convert it to zoned parking for the duration, with stickers available for residents and signs for visitors? That would solve all of the needs. Look forward to hearing from you. Kathryn Weathersby, President, Highview Homeowners's Association.

Kathryn Weathersby (Kathryn@weathersby.us)

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bridgett,

The North Rosslyn Civic Association Board met yesterday evening (Sunday March 30, 2003) and discussed the impact of the construction on Colonial Terrace. Following a thorough discussion of the situation and several proposed alternatives, the Civic Association Board strongly feels the best and most viable way to relieve the parking problem is to keep the current 1 hour parking as currently implemented on Ode Street between Key Blvd and Colonial Terrace and to convert the 12 parking spaces along the south side of north 19th Street to 24 hour zone 4 parking. This will eliminate the commercial commuter parking that now takes place on the south side of 19th street and allow the residents adjacent to the construction on Colonial Terrace to use the space around the corner from this construction project. All board members feel the Ode Street parking must be kept as 1 hour parking during the day to allow the service people and short term visitors to Rosslyn Mews, The Atrium, Highview, Highgate, and Georgetown Vista a place to park during business hours while allowing more open parking during the evenings for visitors of these same associations. It has taken several years to get to the 1 hour parking solution along N Ode Street. This solution has been in place for almost 2 years and works. The associations do not want this parking situation changed at this time.

We look to you to support and confirm our request. This request is made by Civic Association board members that are also directors and members of all the homeowner association boards in this neighborhood including The Atrium, Highgate, Highview, Georgetown Vista and Rosslyn Mews.

Mark Antel will be contacting you regarding parking alternatives for the construction personnel.

Sincerely yours,

Paul Derby, Director
North Rosslyn Civic Association

<Ken Marcus>
posted
At the Feb 29, 2004, meeting, I indicated that there had been considerable prior discussion about parking limitations during the current construction fiasco on Colonial Terrace. This is one line of correspondence in which that issue was discussed. Please feel free to post your concerns about this topic here, since the situation has certainly evolved considerably and been dramatically worsened by recent events. I know that this is an issue that people feel very strongly about, and we need to make sure that we are presenting a unified voice to the County.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your discussion about parking issues seems to revolve around property owners on Ode Street and Colonial Terrance. I own property on 19th Street. We need Zone parking on both sides of the sides of 19th Street. We are the ones who have limited parking. We get Colonial Terrance, Ode Street, Key Blvd. and Rosslyn Workers.
When the "New Condos" are completed on Colonial Terrance, we will have less parking.

Do we have any say? Or is the "Civic" Association more interested in the concerns of the trying to "Zone" and "Code" us away?
The same people that might fix your car, tutor your children, do you lawn maintance, fix your plumbing, clean your windows, getting their PHD and Georgetown Univ and or George Washington Univ. may live here.

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Members of the civic association have asked Arlington County to provide zoned parking on 19th street, both sides. But the county has declined to do so on the south side.

The neighborhood has had more and more parking demand with the building of the Gallery, and as you point out, the building of the Lofts of Washington going up on Colonial Terrace.

Eleanor, of course you have a say. Just write the County Board or whomever else you choose and feel free to put your thoughts and ideas on what you are requesting from the county here in the forum. If your thoughts strike a chord with others, then you will find like-minded folks that will join with you in lobbying the county to improve our neighborhood.

The Civic association is a community of its members, it doesn't Zone and Code anyone away, the county does that. We embrace all of our neighbors and members in an inclusive fashion, we are the people that do the jobs you listed in your post and a lot more. Diversity is our strength.