New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copy of letter sent to Scott McCaffrey, editor, Arlington Sun Gazette
 Login/Join 
posted
FYI,

"I conclude that Arlington County routinely negotiates and concludes deals with developers without the possibility of public review of cost/benefit information."

Mark Antell

----------------------

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:03 PM
To: Scott McCaffrey
Cc: Mark Antell
Subject: Letter for publication in the Arlington Sun Gazette

Scott McCaffery,
Editor: Arlington Sun Gazette

I recently sent a note to Arlington County expressing the Georgetown Vista Condominium Association's (GVA) position on a Rosslyn site-plan. I received a note from Arlington County staff in response. I provide directly below my summary of the two notes, plus my interpretation of what they tell us about the site-plan process in Arlington. I'd appreciate your feedback and suggestions. The full body of the two notes is included by attachment

The first note is a statement from GVA to the Arlington County board, opposing a developer request to extend the Rosslyn Gateway site plan past its expiration date.
The statement points out that the site plan would cede public land in Rosslyn, and it asks, “Is this a good deal?” Importantly, the statement requests that the County provide the public with an appraisal of the public land to be ceded to the developer, and details about the payment or benefits which the developer will provide.

The second note is to GVA from Arlington County staff. It is a denial of the information request because such information is routinely withheld prior to County Board action: "Our practice is to not release appraisals at this point in the vacation process."

I conclude that Arlington County routinely negotiates and concludes deals with developers without the possibility of public review of cost/benefit information.

Best,
Mark Antell,
Board Member, Georgetown Vista Condominium Association
Board Member, North Rosslyn Civic Association

Word DocQuery_and_Response.doc (32 Kb, 252 downloads)

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post