New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emerging Issues on Central Rosslyn - Request for input
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello Folks,

Background: Part of the reason we've met some (small) success on Wilson School is that the community is aware of the issues and has provided feedback. So, when attending meetings, we've been able to speak firmly as representing the expressed position of the community. This note is intended to start a similar education and discussion about plans for Central Rosslyn.

There is a lot going on in Central Rosslyn; we either speak up or accept whatever happens. First I'll indicate the ˜easy' situations where it's obvious where the community stands. A second area indicates where the issues are more controversial and where we need some feedback. The specific requests for feedback are underlined.

Issues where the community position is obvious:

1101 Lee: This is the ˜monster that won't die' development between the river and Mount Vernon path just east of Key Bridge. No one, other than the developer, wants this one. It ruins sight-lines; and it ruins traffic patterns. The area should be parkland. We have many many allies on this one including RAFOM, several county commissions, and Rosslyn Renaissance.

Central Place observation deck: Central Place is a development planned for the entire block just east of Metro (the one with parks plus Sarris', McDonalds, etc.). The developer has requested many easements, and promises in return a world class 360 degree view of DC open to the public. Our position has been that this should be open long hours; it should be free to Arlington residents and workers; and the view should not be blocked by any other development. Our allies in this include RAFOM, and the county arts and planning commissions. Rosslyn Renaissance is strong on saving the view; they're not quite so committed on free access.

Metro Access: We have represented that NRCA stands for convenient and safe access to metro for pedestrians, kiss and ride, and bus to metro transfers. Absent some very good alternative we'd like to see the skywalk maintained from our neighborhood to metro. I think we are pretty much alone on this one, so we'll have to present our position early, often and in many venues.

Issues where the community position requires some discussion:

Buses and traffic patterns: Rosslyn Renaissance has stated (bold lettering is from the original letter to Chris Zimmerman): "We feel strongly that restoring two-way travel on Fort Myer Drive, as well as Lynn Street is critical to dispersal of the bus traffic (from Moore)." This position is controversial. Bus dispersal sounds like moving buses all over. How does that help bus users? Also, I don't understand how Rosslyn traffic would work if Ft. Myer and Lynn became two way. I've invited RR to explain their position further to our community. In the meantime I've made it clear in several county commission venues that NRCA has not ˜bought into' either bus dispersal, or making Lynn and Ft. Myer two way. Discussion and information on this will be posted on the bulletin board under a new section, Downtown Rosslyn, in the site plan area. Your thinking on this is solicited.

Parking: Central Place and another proposed development called 1812 Moore (above the old Metro Market) propose a very low ratio of parking to offices. I'm of a mind that this would discourage automobile traffic in the core area and that's a good thing. But some counter-opinion has been expressed that a big building should have lots of parking. Your opinion is solicited on this as well.

Share the work: This isn't really an issue so much as a plea for more voluntarism. The developers always show up at meetings. So do County staff. They're paid. The only thing a citizen gets is the ability to affect the future of our community. Anyone up for it?

Mark Antell
mantell@northrosslyn.org

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post