Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appeal against the semi-permanent 'trailerpark'
 Login/Join 
posted
As youall can see, Arlington Public Schools has begun to renovate the trailerpark in our backyard ... with new trailers. Arlington County, alas, has issued a building permit for this activity. I plan to file a appeal tomorrow (to the Board of Zoning Appeals - see below for wording).

I'd be delighted to add co-appellants; and I'm open to modifying the appeal if anyone has a great idea. This appeal cost $370, so I'll ask co-appellants to kick in $20. Get back to me if you want to join.

Mark Antell

PS. I continue to believe that our effort to Save Wilson School will be won mostly by ˜people power,' that is, by communication and presence; rather than on legal grounds. The purpose of this permit appeal is to open another venue in which we can make the point that our neighborhood suffers from a lack of playspace, greenspace, and community space.

------------------

Appeal building permit B0701774

This is an appeal of a building permit which permits location of trailers (AKA ˜temporary classrooms') on the Wilson School playfield.

The building permit is deficient in that it allows a ˜temporary' installation of these trailers without specifying any termination date. Trailers have been permitted at this location under a ˜temporary building permit' which lasted as long as the trailers, that is, one decade. If this new permit is good for a decade then it should specify that. If 10 years of usage, followed by automatic renewal, can be considered ˜temporary' .... well then the permit process is broken because it doesn't mean anything.

Additionally the permit is deficient because it was not subject to standard public posting and hearing. If an Arlington citizen wants to locate a shed closer to their lot line than allowed by zoning ordinance, then they must apply for a variance and post that application publicly. How is it possible that removal of a playfield from public use does not require normal public notice? This site is zoned S-3A. The applicable ordinance states that the purpose of S-3A zoning is to preserve property in a ˜relatively undeveloped' state for public recreational use. Permanent placement of trailers on a site zoned S-3A should require a variance and thus public postings and a hearing. Public notice and public hearing would allow a venue in which important concerns about the permit could be raised including whether the lot coverage meets standards and whether appropriate facilities (eg. parking) are available for the planned use.

I request that this appeal be kept open for modification till August 31.

Mark Antell

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I support the need for a public hearing on the zoning variance. An appeal seems viable. To whom do I make my check payable?

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Evy,
I'm going to pay the filing fee ($370) by personal check so drop by with your check to me anytime. In the event that I see subscriptions in excess of $350, I'll recommend that people make contributions directly to NRCA (or for people outside the NRCA area, to their own local civic association).
I'll list you as a co-appellant on the filing papers if that's ok. I've already received a couple of other requests to join the appeal.
Mark
PS. Thanks

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post