Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County's park enhancement grant program FY 2007
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to the group and new to the forum, so excuse me if I'm not following protocol or seemingly doing this haphazardly. (Please enlighten me.) I first noticed this on the County's website yesterday morning:

"Do you or your neighbors have an idea for making a small improvement to one of Arlington's parks or open spaces, but don't know how to pay for it? You may want to consider participating in the County's Park Enhancement Grant (PEG) Program. The Letter of Intent deadline is May 15 - don't miss this great opportunity!"

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/ParksRecreation/s...ParksPEGProgram.aspx

There are links to guidelines and a draft letter of intent.

Would we, as a group, have any interest in applying for this money? Any projects in our neighborhood that might pertain? The deadline for final applications is September 29, 2006 so we only need to state our intention by Monday.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Evelyn,

Great idea. Our little neighborhood park, Rosslyn Highlands Park, might use some refreshing. I don't have any specific ideas, but any improvements would be welcome. Maybe some landscaping? Or general painting and maybe renewing the playground equipment?

Also, the little public area on 19th street at the end of the community gardens might use some landscape work.

Just some ideas and thanks for doing this.

Paul

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I submitted a letter of intent today for improvements to Rosslyn Highlands park, the text of which follows. If anyone would like to participate in planning our detailed proposal, please contact me.

LETTER OF INTENT
Park Enhancement Grant Program

May 14, 2006
Mr. Tobin Smith
c/o Carol Ann Perovshek
Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 414
Arlington, VA 22201

RE: PEG Letter of Intent

Dear Mr. Smith:

I submit this Letter of Intent to notify the Park and Recreation Commission of the North Rosslyn Civic Association's intent to submit two proposals for the FY2007 Park Enhancement Grant Program. This letter pertains to the second proposal. (The letter of intent for the first proposal will come under separate cover.)

The North Rosslyn Civic Association proposes to request program funding for landscaping, fencing, and accessibility improvements within Rosslyn Highlands Park.

I will be our main point of contact for the purposes of the application process and can be reached at:

aspiesman@northrosslyn.org

Thank you for this opportunity to participate in the PEG Program and improvement our community.

Posts: 11 | Registered: June 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The application process for the 19th Street green is underway. As the applicants for the county grants number 24 and the budget is relatively limited, we will propose a few, basic improvements (but hopefully plan for the long term and apply every year). As a start, we hope to have the 3 items listed below approved. Do you have other thoughts, ideas or wishes?

"¢ a sign
"¢ a paved path located between the garden fence and the mulch bin which will lead from the brick walkway to the green
"¢ a small trash receptacle

Subsequent applications could include:
"¢ a small table
"¢ additional seating
"¢ shrubbery
"¢ plant and floral landscaping
"¢ dog waste receptacle
"¢ structural improvement to the mulch bin (mulch currently seems to run down the brick path)

This is not only an opportunity to acquire grant funding, it is an opportunity to show County officials that we appreciate Rosslyn as our home and want to enhance our enjoyment of our community. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Our designated liaison, Parks Commissioner Corinne Abbott, visited the 19th Street site and supports efforts to enhance this area. The Parks Department staffperson who is the facilitator for applications, Carol Ann Perovshek, also visited the site and suggested a sign and a fence might be priorities. She thought stepping stones would work better than a paved path. We will proceed with the application requesting a sign, stepping stones, fence. Is this acceptable? A draft proposal is due July 31, 2006.

posted Hide Post
On September 7, I received feedback from the Parks Department staff regarding our suggested improvements:

"Staff supports installation of signage and fieldstone steppers. Staff does not support fence along the property line. PRCR generally does not fence parks unless there is a safety issue (such as a playground near the street or an issue of game ball containment)"

I will adjust the application accordingly. We will stress the importance of having a sign in place, proper access for all to the area, and request continued maintenance of the area. The final version of our application will be submitted Friday morning, September 29.