Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRCA meets AHC on 11/24 @ the Atrium.
 Login/Join 
posted
AHC (previously Arlington Housing Corporation) has contacted North Rosslyn Civic Association asking to describe/discuss their plans to redevelop the Key Boulevard Apartments. We've agreed to meet at 7PM at the Atrium on Tuesday the 24th. This will be a special meeting of NRCA. All North Rosslyn residents are invited.

This could be a big deal and the rumors are flying. I'm pretty sure I speak for the NRCA board when I say that our bias is toward modest renovation and preservation, as opposed to major additional density. But we've got to see what's proposed.

AHC has agreed to provide a digital copy of their presentation sometime next week. I'll post it to the NorthRosslyn.org site as soon as I receive it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mark Antell,

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The correct date for this meeting is Tuesday November 24, 2009 at 7PM. The date on the previous posting was incorrect.

posted Hide Post
Reminder,

AHC to present redevelopment plans for Key Blvd Apts. 7PM at the Atrium this Tuesday the 24th.

Mark Antell

---------------------------------

quote:
Posted November 11, 2009 07:00 PM
AHC (previously Arlington Housing Corporation) has contacted North Rosslyn Civic Association asking to describe/discuss their plans to redevelop the Key Boulevard Apartments. We've agreed to meet at 7PM at the Atrium on Tuesday the 24th. This will be a special meeting of NRCA. All North Rosslyn residents are invited.

This could be a big deal and the rumors are flying. I'm pretty sure I speak for the NRCA board when I say that our bias is toward modest renovation and preservation, as opposed to major additional density. But we've got to see what's proposed.

AHC has agreed to provide a digital copy of their presentation sometime next week. I'll post it to the NorthRosslyn.org site as soon as I receive it.

(Update -11/23/09. Did not receive the preview copy.)

posted Hide Post
The special NRCA meeting with AHC was well attended. Probably over two dozen people. We did not walk away with any copies of the presentation. Our request for paper or electronic copies of the slides was denied. So the following is reconstruction from memory.

AHC proposes to teardown the Key Blvd. Apartments and build two closely adjoining buildings, each 8 stories and a garage to a total rough height of 100 ft (above ground level ?). The buildings would cover the lot with some small buffer at the edges, plus there will be a small parklike area (no ball playing) in a central court. Currently, there's about 42 units, all affordable. With the AHC proposal the total number of units on the lot would increase to something in the range of 175-225. One building would consist of condos for sale. The other building would be affordable rental units (separate but near). Affordable housing overall would increase by 'at least 50%.

I asked about the Cherry Trees on the property. The AHC spokesperson, John Welch, never quite directly answered the question, but made it clear that the trees were in the path of their development. Questions were also raised about the impact of tall development on the community gardens.

We also questioned the AHC position that the current buildings were simply worn out. We pointed out that AHC had received the entire complex, free, along with some renovation funds, as a community benefit associated with the Atrium construction. Paul Derby questioned the business model which left AHC, after 25 years of ownership, unable to continue providing affordable housing without selling half the lot.

We also asked whether the community would receive some benefit for the increased density and were told that the increased affordable housing was the benefit.

Finally, we asked where will the children play? Didn't get any answer to that.

I didn't hear a lot of support for this proposal at our meeting. And AHC realizes it will have to have several public meetings to explain the project and receive community input. Nevertheless I believe it will take substantial effort to affect this proposal.

Mark Antell

posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark.
It seems our neighborhood has become too valuable to use for just affordable housing.

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Web-surfing today and found this:

Nov 24, 2009 ... housing. Ensure that AHC's properties enhance the quality of life in the neighborhoods we serve. Key Boulevard Redevelopment Presentation...
http://www.ahcinc.org/document...tationforwebsite.pdf

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post