North Rosslyn Civic Association Home Page    NRCA Collaboration Area    North Rosslyn Civic Association Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Planning and Development Discussions  Hop To Forums  Gateway Park    JBG Graphics from 2012-02-22 NRCA Board Meeting (Personal Album)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Add Comment
JBG Graphics from 2012-02-22 NRCA Board Meeting
 Login/Join

by Paul Derby (created on )Gallery | Comments 
These graphics were presented and used for discussion with JBG at the Feb 22, 2012 NRCA Board Meeting

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul Derby,

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing these graphics. There appear to be a number of proposed designs, but they all seem to engulf the open area between the current buildings and Lee Hwy. If this correct, it's extremely disappointing. We look forward to learning more about the status of the planning/approval process and whether anything can be done about this issue.

Jeff & Susan Vincent

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff and Susan, your comments are well taken. I added notations on the various graphics from the details that I remembered the developer explaining as he made the presentation.

At the conclusion of the developer presentation at the NRCA board meeting I made the following personal observations. (I viewed this meeting as the beginning of a conversation between the developer and the community where preliminary plans could be presented leading to discussion points resulting in improved plans and improved community development.) The points that I raised with the developer were the following:

- The proposed plan eliminates the loop roadway that currently serves SLUG transportation. Riders meet and depart cars on this loop to meet the HOV-3 requirement so that I-395 carries cars with 3 or more passengers. I asked the developer to understand that the slug riders and drivers would be unable to meet up if the loop was removed and to develop an alternative transportation plan that provides a place for riders and drivers to meet.

- The proposed plan places the building extremely close to Lee Highway and removes the existing skywalk that carries pedestrian traffic over the slug loop and Lee Highway. I pointed out to the developers that we had a fairly recent pedestrian fatality at this high car density traffic area and the proposed design makes pedestrian injury or death even more probable. I pointed out that the existing concrete walkways in Gateway Park that lead to/from the skywalk are designed 180 degrees opposite the major pedestrian traffic flow and to consider incorporating a design that provided an elevated walkway from the building to the park and a path toward the Key Bridge and the bicycle paths.

- I understood from the attorney that accompanied the JBG representatives that Arlington County appraises the land at market value for any property the county transfers to the developer and that the developer pays for the land in cash or community benefits as part of the real estate transaction that conveys the property from the county to the developer. The attorney told us that these transactions are managed by the Arlington County Real Estate Bureau which may be reached at 703-228-0121. We plan to contact the real estate bureau to follow the process of assessing and conveying any land transferred by the county to the developer so the community is comfortable that the developer is paying fair market value in money or community benefits.

- I mentioned to the developer's representatives that Arlington Gateway Park could serve well as an extension of Rosslyn providing much needed green space, open space, a place to rest, meet, and refresh for pedestrian traffic going between Georgetown and Rosslyn and for bikers commuting to work using the trails that run alongside Gateway Park. I encouraged the developer's to incorporate into the plans ways for pedestrians and bikers to efficiently and safely move from Rosslyn to the bike trails and Key Bridge.

- The plans presented at the meeting showed a much narrower sidewalk and buffer area adjacent to the 3 full lanes of traffic on Lee Highway going to DC or to the 66/110 on ramp. I expressed concern that the design was optimized for automobile traffic and not balanced for all transportation modalities. I asked that the developer work with Arlington County and the community to integrate the building in to a transportation plan that optimized pedestrian, bicycle, and slug carpooling with the single passenger auto traffic so that people desiring to move from Rosslyn to Georgetown or the commuting bike trails would not be blocked by high density auto traffic.

We have just begun the conversations between the community and the developer and Arlington County. Hopefully, residents will become part of the process by attending the NRCA meetings and public Arlington County meetings involved in the planning process.

Early in the process we as individuals can have open dialogue in the conversations with the developer and the county. I've put my comments in this posting and others have expressed their views in this early dialogue. As the conversations mature over time, the ideas should coalesce into community positions and the community will be in a position to have both majority and also be open to expressing minority opinions regarding this development.

Together the residents of North Rosslyn should be able to influence this development to improve our neighborhood for the greater good of our community.

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post