New
Find
Notify
Tools

Planting of Additional Trees
 Login/Join

<Ken Marcus>
posted
As you may be aware, the departing County Board Chairman, Chris Zimmerman, launched a major county-wide tree re-planting initiative, through which the county's Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Resources (PRCR) has received funding for additional tree plantings. Now that North Rosslyn is established as a civic association, our neighborhood will be able to participate in the PRCR's selection of sites for the new trees.

I am sure that many in the neighborhood will have ideas about potential North Rosslyn sites for the new plantings, and I encourage everyone to submit them to the Association by replying to this post. The more thought that we put into this process, the more likely we are to get our fair share of the new tree plantings, so please do not be shy about suggesting Rosslyn locations where our tree canopy is bare. The PRCR has promised to consider all of our suggestions, but they have encouraged us to particularly consider suggesting locations that meet the following guidelines:

* Grass strips between the sidewalk and curb that are a minimum of four feet wide;

* Median strips at least six feet wide that will not block vision for traffic;

* Areas without sidewalks or curbs, provided that the property lines are determined and have a minimum of a four foot right-of-way;

* Whole blocks are preferred rather than scattered plantings; and

* Park areas where tree canopy appears thin.

After the Association has passed along our recommendations to the PRCR, county staff will perform site visits before making final decisions as to locations and species. The county plans to add these plantings to the spring planting list.

Our deadline for responding to the county is February 17, 2003.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see more trees in the park next to the Wilson Blvd Fire Station and surrounding the original Wilson School Building and the perimeter of the Wilson School field. Pin Oaks would look nice in the park area and around the school building. Ginko's might look nice along the street beside the school field on Quinn and 18th Street.

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I support Paul Derby's suggestion for additional trees around Wilson School, I have another suggestion. Walking to the Rosslyn Metro using the skywalk path, I'm struck by both its convenience (except for all the stairs up and down) and its ugliness. Despite a few plantings by the building owners, the walk is really pretty stark and cold-looking. Would enhancing the appeal of the skywalk be a candidate for this program?

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ken Marcus>
posted
As a reminder, it is not too late to submit recommendations for tree plantings in North Rosslyn!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post