New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commercial Vehicle Parking
 Login/Join

<Ken Marcus>
posted
There are few issues that have been more controversial in the county lately than parking. Paul Derby has posted a string of messages, elsewhere in the "Streets, sidewalks and lighting" section of this web forum, on the difficult issue of parking in the Colonial Terrace area while construction is undertaken on two new apartment buildings in our neighborhood. In other parts of the county, the more contentious issue has been commercial vehicle parking.

Recently, the county solicited North Rosslyn's views on a proposal to adopt changes to Arlington County Code Section 14.2-34 to prohibit the parking of commercial type vehicles and recreational vehicles on the county's residential streets. Although I have not heard as many concerns about that particular parking question in our neighborhood, there certainly have been several commercial vehicles parked in the neighborhood, so people should use this opportunity to be heard if they are concerned about this.

Generally speaking, the proposal is to limit commercial type vehicles on residential streets that reduce the availability of on-street parking. The county has posted a report on this proposal at http://www.co.arlington.va.us/cbo/meetings/2002/dec/1207/index.htm. The report indicates the types and weights of potentially affected vehicles.

The County Board considered the proposal during a well-attended, contentious meeting on December 7, 2002. Many neighborhoods have been up in arms about the issue, while various commercial professionals have been concerned about the potential restrictions. Since that meeting, there has been an active dialogue among civic association presidents. Apparently, many civic associations have been heavily impacted by commercial vehicle parking, particularly in areas adjacent to Fairfax County. Some contend that Fairfax companies are parking their vehicles in Arlington in order to avail themselves of this county's arguably more lax parking restrictions. In general, I have heard more concerns about construction-related parking rather than the general commercial vehicle parking issues that are the subject of this proposed ordinance, but I would be interested in hearing others' views.

Anyone who is concerned about this issue should consider presenting testimony at the public hearing on Saturday, April 26. In the meantime, please share with North Rosslyn's officers and directors any concerns that you would like North Rosslyn to communicate to the county.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ken Marcus>
posted
Dear Civic/Citizens Association President:

This is the e-mail message following up on the hard copy letter I sent you earlier. The earlier e-mail message that I sent was returned to me because the pictures that were attached took up more space than your internet service would accept.

At the meeting on April 26, 2003, the Arlington County Board will consider whether to adopt changes to the Arlington County Code §14.2-34 to prohibit the parking of commercial type vehicles and recreational vehicles on the County's residential streets. The County Board Office and County Manager's Office have received numerous complaints from residents concerned about persons parking commercial type vehicles on residential streets and reducing the availability of on-street parking.

The County Board first considered the proposal at the meeting on December 7, 2002, and decided at that time to continue to allow taxicabs to park on residential streets based on testimony received from several taxicab drivers and owners of taxicab companies. The County Board asked to reconsider the proposal in February and then decided to defer consideration until April 26th in order to take into consideration the results of legislation from the 2003 Session of the Virginia General Assembly and to obtain additional input from the community at large.

The County's web address that contains a copy of the Board Report and attachments (#41) is http://www.co.arlington.va.us/cbo/meetings/2002/dec/1207/index.htm.
I would appreciate your sharing this information with members of your civic/citizens association for consideration. [The pictures that would have been attached show various vehicles and their weights. For example, panel vans (e.g., plumbing, chimney service, heating/cooling) - those often seen with ladders or pipes on top - range in weight from 3,400 pounds to 5,200 pounds; panel trucks (e.g., U-Haul, Ryder type) - 4,200 pounds; panel trucks (e.g., size used by food vendors, souvenir vendors) - 7,000 pounds; flat bed trucks - 9,100 pounds.]

If you and members of your civic/citizens association would like to offer your opinion on the proposal, you are welcome to present testimony at the public hearing on Saturday, April 26th, or submit written information to the County Board, or both. Just as the County Board decided to continue to permit taxicabs to park on residential streets based on testimony received, the County Board members will take into consideration information provided by you and members of your association. If you choose to submit written information, I would appreciate your sending me a copy as well. I also would be pleased to answer questions you may have and may be reached by telephone at 703-228-3115 or via e-mail at ddake1@co.arlington.va.us.

I apologize for this information reaching you at this time, just a month prior to the County Board meeting. The County Attorney just completed his review of the ordinance in light of legislation passed at the 2003 Session of the Virginia General Assembly. You may have noted that legislation passed enabling Arlington County to prohibit the parking of boats and boat trailers on residential streets; the bill is among those being considered by the Governor for his signature. [The Governor signed this bill.]

I appreciate your taking the time to consider this proposed ordinance, to discuss it with members of your association, and to offer your opinion.

Sincerely,
Dorothy L. Dake
Assistant County Manager

<Ken Marcus>
posted
The county has just provided us with the following update on the proposed commercial vehicle ordinance and related issues:

Subj: Parking Issues
Date: 04/23/2003 2:11:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time
To: michael.bruce@accenture.com, Aotjr@aol.com, ArlingtonForest@aol.com, bushrunner@aol.com, CdFairRes@aol.com, "DCSTAN."@aol.com, oceanwatch@aol.com, pty4232@aol.com, SDakSS@aol.com, benda_paul@BAH.com, john.rutter@bea.gov, diosolt@cdm.com, dan@CIVFED.ORG, Flunney@co.arlington.va.us, Jcubbage@co.arlington.va.us, Osaddi@co.arlington.va.us, Susan.Retz@co.fairfax.va.us, budwood3@comcast.net, carlhallinan@comcast.net, kmatzkin@comcast.net, Hynes@csandh.com, gerald.auten@do.treas.gov, bostwick@emerecon.com, FairlingtonCitizensAssociation@erols.com, Carolelieber@hotmail.com, rebecca_krafft@hotmail.com, RIVERCRESTCIVICASSOCIATION@hotmail.com, dclarke12@juno.com, ddiamond@lmi.org, libby.ross@longandfoster.com, president@lyonpark.org, andy.black@mail.house.gov, dkmacdonald@msn.com, kehoer@msn.com, thomasterrill@msn.com, scompton@nea.org, ROSS@nerdvana.fu.com, kmarcus@northrosslyn.org, cking@redtopcab.com, pfordter@sec.gov, jaronson@sito.saic.com, besa@starpower.com, ellenjones6@starpower.net, iragoodsaid@uspto.gov, whca@waverlyhills.com, pwilliamson@weta.com, bill@wgearhart.com, braswell67@worldnet.att.net, DominionHill@yahoo.com, dwhem@yahoo.com, nhcapres@yahoo.com, peterowenvirginia@yahoo.com, YorktownCivic@yahoo.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

During the last several months issues related to parking have come to the County Board's attention. One that I corresponded with you about dealt with proposed changes to the County's ordinance regarding commercial type vehicles. I appreciate your sharing that information among members of your organizations. I am writing to let you know of significant changes to that proposal as well as to bring you up to date on other parking related items.

1. Ordinance change to limit commercial vehicle parking, motor homes, camping trailers, boats, and boat trailers in areas zoned for residential use (aka Commercial Vehicle Parking). Item #51 on this Saturday's (4/26/03) County Board agenda is a request to re-advertise an ordinance change and to hold a public hearing on the proposed ordinance at the County Board meeting on June 28th (the ordinance, if adopted, could not go into effect until July 1, 2003). The issue of parking commercial type vehicles is one that's been before the County Board since 11/16/02 (as per our earlier correspondence). At that time, the County lacked enabling legislation to prohibit the parking of boats and boat trailers on residential streets. Because of the interest of some residents in seeking this prohibition, the County sought and gained enabling legislation during the 2003 Session of the Virginia General Assembly. The legislation included this new provision related to boats along with a definition of commercial vehicels that was different from the definition the County advertised in November 2002. Because the County now has enabling legislation specific to the County, Arlington County no longer can rely on the more general definition of a commercial type vehicle that applied when we put forward the initial proposal. As a result of this new definition of commercial vehicles (i.e., weighs 12,000 pounds or more; designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver; transports hazardous material; a trailer or semi-trailer; has 3 or more axles) and the ability to prohibit the parking of boats and boat trailers, the County needs to re-advertise the ordinance, incorporating the new definitions. Input provided on the initial proposal (11/16/02) is helpful in providing guidance about whether the County would consider requesting additional enabling legislation at a future date. I apologize for the last minute notification on this matter; we needed to await the County Attorney's review of the new legislation and its effect on the previous proposal.
Request to advertise ¯ 4/26
Public hearing ¯ 6/28

2. Douglas Park and Columbia Forest Residential Zone Parking Programs (formerly known as the Douglas Park Pilot). At the County Board meeting on April 26th, the County Manager is recommending that the County Board advertise an ordinance establishing the Douglas Park and Columbia Forest residential zone parking programs and that a public hearing to consider this ordinance be held at the County Board meeting on May 17, 2003. The Board Report provides the details of the programs and the streets in both communities to be included in the residential zone parking program. Please note that as part of the proposed action, the County will expand on-street parking opportunities in nearby areas that are not part of the zone area.
Request to advertise ¯ 4/26
Public hearing ¯ 5/17

[The Board Reports for both items are available for view on the County Board section of the County's website listed under meetings - April 26, 2003.]

3. Countywide Zone Permit Parking ¯ NOT a County Board agenda item. There is information on the Department of Public Works website about proposals being considered about the County's Zone permit parking program in order to address the increasing demand for parking in an environment of a limited supply of on-street parking on public streets. Discussion of the proposals will take place with the Transportation Commission as part of a parking symposium that the Commission is considering hosting. Mr. Dennis Leach, Chairman of the Transportation Commission, has just begun discussions about how such a symposium might be structured and when it would occur. As these details become available, information will be presented to the community.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you need additional details or if there are ways I can assist. Again, I appreciate your help on getting feedback on the original commercial vehicle parking proposal and regret the changes at the last minute.

Sincerely,
Dotty Dake
Assistant County Manager
Constituent Services
703-228-3115