Find
Notify
Tools

Pedestrian Safety during Skywalk renovations
 Login/Join

posted
Here's
1. My note of 6/2 to County Board members Paul Ferguson and Walt Tejada:
2. Excellent Response from Mr. Ferguson on 6/5.

--------------------
Mr Tejada, Mr Ferguson,

As acting president of the North Rosslyn Civic Association I bring to your attention a substantial and ongoing danger to pedestrians traveling from our neighborhood to the Rosslyn Metro Station.

At street level, the walk takes one across broad streets with short lights, fast moving traffic, and non-stop right-turn lanes. Normally, this is not a problem. We take the skywalk. But the skywalk has been under repair for over a month. During that period we've received two reports that residents were almost hit by cars. We understand that the current repairs will be complete next week, but that additional repairs will be necessary shortly.

We, the local Civic Association, think that some sort of pedestrian safety measures should be put in place while the skywalk is under repair. We've contacted the Arlington traffic engineering office (see for example the attached note of May 12). They just say that pedestrians should be more careful. That's not really a good response.

We contact you, Mr. Tejada and Mr. Ferguson, because you have shown consideration for pedestrian issues in the past. We ask that the county board direct the appropriate county staff to develop temporary pedestrian safety measures for pedestrians while the Rosslyn skywalk is under repair. We're certainly willing to get involved in developing such plans.

Mark Antell

-------------------

Dear Mr. Antell:

Thank you for bringing the pedestrian safety issue near the Rosslyn Metro Station to my attention. I have asked the County Manager to investigate your concerns and get back to me. Pedestrian safety should never be compromised. I will be back in touch in a couple of weeks.
Sincerely,
Paul Ferguson
Vice Chairman
(Arlington County Board)

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Arlington Connection published Seth Rosen's article on this issue. See the July 5-11, 2006 issue, pp.3,11.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post