Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What community benefits would you like to see?
 Login/Join 
posted
Meetings are currently underway for planning the replacement of the buildings on the block containing 1400 Key Blvd and 1401 Wilson Blvd. This block houses Subway and the Kan Pai Restaurant on one side and Gold's Gym on the other side.

The county planning committee seeks input from you, as a resident of North Rosslyn, for potential community benefits that become part of this development project. Jennifer Zeien serves on the county planning committee and seeks ideas and open discussion on this topic to determine the ideas to submit to the planning committee. If you have ideas, Please do not reply to this email instead click here and click on Reply located on the lower right hand area of the web page to share your thoughts. If you do not know your login info, click on "Lost Password", enter your email address, and your account login information will be sent to you.

Examples of past community benefits include renovating the steps between Nash and Colonial Terrace, moving electrical and other utility wires below ground, incorporating public art into the design, and making conference rooms available for community use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul Derby,

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting power lines underground as the top priority

Posts: 8 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Undergrounding of power lines is a "standard" condition when redevelopment occurs -- for the parcel where the redevelpment is to take place and sometimes adjacent parcels -- but electric lines are typically not disturbed in areas not immediately proximate to the construction site. We can certainly request undergrounding elsewhere in North Rosslyn as a "community benefit," however. Are there particular locations where undergrounding is needed specifically? Jennifer

Posts: 285 | Registered: January 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would strongly support Vojtech Mastny's suggestion of putting power lines underground. In particular, from 1601-1663 Colonial Terrace continuing on to 1541 N 19th St and the power "leg" running from N 19th street to Key Blvd through the community gardens.

The Highview and Terrace Lofts power is below ground in this area, but the remaining connecting power lines are above ground and feeds the Terrace Lofts and Highview underground power distribution lines. There have been two incidents, one in June 2003 and the other in July 2012, when all the residents in this area were without power for multiple days. The lines crossing the community gardens provide the power source for the entire neighborhood west of Ode St. Take a look at the way the lines run low to the ground and through many tree tops between Key Blvd and 19th Street. Burying the lines along Colonial Terrace and N 19th street, removing the feed across the community gardens, and extending the underground feed from the NW corner of Colonial Ter and N Ode St would greatly reduce the future occurrence of multi-day electrical outages for a large portion of the North Rosslyn residential area.

posted Hide Post
I second this. As an owner in Terrace Lofts, it was only because of the graciousness of our fellow North Rosslyn Neighbors (Jim and Lena, whose last names are escaping me) and Tomas Danulevicius and his wife Jennifer Bovair that we survived the July 2012 blackout. Half of our building had power and half did not. We live in the middle, and while most of our sockets were out of power, we were lucky that a few did. Jim and Lena loaned us a portable air conditioner and Tomas and Jennifer loaned us extension cords. It would have been impossible to survive the multi day July outage without these. When I lived in DC, at least where I was, everything was underground and it was not an issue. But it is nice to live in a place with such nice neighbors. They even offered to let us stay in their place.

Posts: 8 | Registered: August 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea. We should push for this in as many areas as possible. We should have underground cables in N Rosslyn with all the resources and processes at our disposal. This is the norm throughout Western Europe where outages are practically unheard of.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are all excellent suggestions which I firmly endorse.

Regarding the planned replacement of buildings on block containing 1400 Key Blvd and 1401 Wilson Blvd, my husband and I live directly across the street from this planned new development. Since my neighbor was mugged and robbed by 3 young men in the last year, right on Key Blvd, may I suggest that proper illumination throughout this area, with cameras, be included in development plans. Not only for any new commercial area, but also residential areas as well.
Thanks, Marsha

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that undergrounding power lines as far as it can be done is top priority. It is not only an issue of aesthetics, and the risk or power outages, hanging wires are dangerous for people who walk in the street! A second priority for me would be (much) better lighting. 19th street, where I live, is very dark. The surrounding area looks like Manhattan but my street is particularly badly kept.

Posts: 3 | Registered: September 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attended the meeting where Monday Properties discussed the proposed project. Whole Foods was mentioned as a possible tenant. To me, a nice grocery store in the area would be wonderful, so I hope we strongly encourage them to keep this in the plan. I was also pleased to hear about open spaces with seating, water features, and trees. I'm all for that, too, so hope it continues to be included. I think both additions would improve the neighborhood greatly.

Susan Vincent

Posts: 9 | Registered: October 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Monday Properties new project at 1401 Wilson Boulevard and 1400 Key Boulevard were to include a Wholefoods store, I believe it would make the lives of current residents in the area much, much better. So many now get in their cars to drive up to the Clarendon store, with all the hassle and traffic implications. It would also hugely increase the value of our properties as North Rosslyn would then be stamped with the most attractive kind of label a neighborhood can have these days. There's no other grocery store in fact that can deliver the same cache or quality of product.

Posts: 9 | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the proposal for a Whole Foods store, preferably in a building that would replace the current non-descript monster with a high-rise of distinction comparable to that of Turnberry Tower or at least the Center Place.
Vojtech Mastny

NRCA Director
posted Hide Post
The grocery store is needed, but that is a tenant and not a community benefit. I think that undergrounding utilities is a good idea. An upgrade of Gateway Park, along with more green spaces that includes child and dog friendly areas is sorely needed. The list of services that could be offered is long. I would like a small branch library, an urgent facility and more cultural amenities in Rosslyn. Terri Prell

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, can't wait to have Whole Foods just across the street, but to accommodate everything now planned for that 1400 Key Blvd block, is anyone else concerned about the increased traffic, and lack of enough parking such new development portends? or will cars just end up spilling into our residential streets?

Posts: 3 | Registered: June 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grocery store will have a dedicated parking facility separate from the office and residential unit parking. That was a condition placed on developers by the potential grocery store tenants. Though we may question the traffic implications (and there are indeed some questions based on the proposed location for the garage entrance to the grocery store parking facility, which is very near the intersection of Nash and Key) the issue of on street parking for grocery store patrons is probably not a big issue.
Jennifer

posted Hide Post
I've been monitoring your suggestions -- I'm hearing undergrounding of utilities in specified off-site locations and better street illumination along Nash and Key where this development is. I'm also hearing strong support for the proposed grocery store, which is probably NOT a community benefit for purposes f this exercise even though it is a large benefit to the community.
I want to ask you about another suggested community benefit that has not been logged here: a proposal to use comunity benefit dollars to fill in Ft. Myer drive tunnel and two-way that street.
As residents, is this an appealing proposal to you?

Thanks for your input,
Jennifer

posted Hide Post
Regarding Ft. Myer Drive, the benefit that promotes life over death is getting a crosswalk in place to support the heavy pedestrian traffic crossing Ft. Myer Drive at the Rosslyn Metro west exit/entrance. A HAWK or similar crosswalk should be installed ASAP. Personally, it makes me no difference whether the cars travel in one or two directions or whether or not the tunnel is filled. Injury from cars seems to be equal regardless of the direction of car travel. The majority of our residents use the west metro entrance. With the escalator to the plaza now closed even more pedestrian traffic is flowing across Ft. Myer Drive with several pedestrians struck by cars in the recent weeks.

posted Hide Post
Two-way the street, by all means, if it discourages driving and reduces traffic. But why filling in the tunnel? Isn't it good having cara underground, out of sight? In any case, I believe the money can be better spent on undergrounding utilities.
Vojtech Mastny

posted Hide Post
I definitely agree that a signalized crosswalk is needed st mid block on Ft. Myer. I am just not convinced this improvement should rest on implementation of a condition in a community benefit package, which may not be triggered until years from now. It also seems to me the county should fund this arguably essential SAFETY item, not a developer.

NRCA First Vice-President
posted Hide Post
Hi all - I would actually support as a community benefit contributing some funds toward removing the tunnel. I think it's an important change that needs to happen somehow - if the county needs more $ to make it happen, this would be a good way to raise it.

Also, I know that the public plaza was presented to us as part of the plan, but I would like to be sure that that public space, and the skywalk connection they presented, are seen through.

Posts: 60 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bernard Kripkee>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer Zeien:
I definitely agree that a signalized crosswalk is needed st mid block on Ft. Myer. I am just not convinced this improvement should rest on implementation of a condition in a community benefit package, which may not be triggered until years from now. It also seems to me the county should fund this arguably essential SAFETY item, not a developer.

I agree. The County ought to have a responsibility to do this from its own funds.
Bernard Kripkee
Treasurer, The Atrium Condominium

Reply With QuoteReport This Post