Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Current Central Place proposal - weak at the street level
 Login/Join 
posted
Arlington County normally reviews major projects via Site Plan Review Committees (SPRCs) with representation from all stakeholders. NRCA and RAFOM are generally invited to sit in on SPRCs for projects in the Rosslyn Business District. On Thursday, 11/9, I represented NRCA at an SPRC meeting for Central Place.

On the one hand, the proposed Central Place surely will look very impressive from across the river. I made the following two critical points however about how Central Place will affect people who live and work in Rosslyn. These points are consistent with NRCA's interest in public space and pedestrian access:

1. Central Place will reduce public park space between Moore and Lynn from about 32000 square feet to about 16000 square feet. It replaces the lost ground-level public space with public space on an observation level. Central Place plans to charge for visits to the observation deck. Given what the public is losing, access to that observation deck should be free at least some of the time each day.

2. Central Place locates two parking garage entrances on Moore thus generating several hundreds of additional car trips on Moore. How are people to cross Moore on foot with all that new traffic? Other public representatives at the SPRC also indicated unhappiness with the proposed narrow sidewalks and blind garage entrances.

I also got expressed a position on a third point:

3. Central Place is required to provide community benefits in exchange for building higher than otherwise allowed. Arlington County policy indicates that affordable housing is a top-priority community benefit. I publicly indicated (along with other public representatives) unhappy surprise that Central Place provides no affordable housing benefit.

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Mark for reminding the County about three pressing issues.

I shudder when I think what will transpire once this project is actualized and then finished. My coworkers and business associates (I work in Rosslyn) are ignorant of any such developments. They are astounded that Central Place will bring changes to traffic, the Skywalk, bus routes, access to the Metro station, pedestrian safety. Yes, some bemoan a temporary loss of the McDonald's.

The project may provide parking, but likely at a fee of $15-$20/day. Some Rosslyn workers seek parking on our streets in order to avoid that cost; some via unethical (illegal) methods.

While Rosslyn Renaissance has featured the project in a recent issue of its magazine, few who work in this area realize what's to come. I wish Arlington County would appreciate the perspective of commuting workers, and value more that of its Rosslyn residents.

Evy

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post