Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Request that the County Board work with the School Board
 Login/Join 
posted
This is a draft of a statement for the County Board meeting on 2/23. Please get back if you've any comments. Oh, and feel free to join me, or watch on Verizon CH#74. This should screen not long after 8:30AM on Saturday.

---------
Public Comment by Mark Antell, President North Rosslyn Civic Association, before the 2/23 meeting of the Arlington County Board.

On Jan 31, 2008, The Arlington Public School (APS) Board directed their Superintendent to engage in discussions with the County Manager on improvement of the Wilson Site with: "the future availability of facilities on the site for an elementary school as a first priority (emphasis from the original) ..."

The Save Wilson School Coalition is a loose confederation of the nearby Civic Associations plus art, recreation, greenspace, education, and historic preservation interests. I speak today for the surrounding neighborhoods, and for the entire coalition, when I say that we are intensely supportive of this APS resolution. Our densely populated area has very few public areas for recreation and community activity. This resolution would provide some recreational space for our children and young people now; it would provide a public location for community and art activity now; and it will assure that we will have a place to educate our children as our community evolves and grows.

We request that you provide direction to your staff to Save Wilson School as they discuss the Wilson site with APS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mark Antell,

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet. Succinct. Good luck, Mark, and thanks again.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post