Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson School - Still Endangered
 Login/Join 
posted
Wilson - Still endangered. Critical meetings next Tuesday (6/17).

Early this year the Arlington Public Shools (APS) Board directed APS staff to discuss the future of the Wilson site with Arlington County with an orientation toward, "maintaining the future availability of facilities on the site for an elementary school as a first priority."

I report now that development forces have put up a new roadblock.

Just yesterday I learned from responsible County staff (Hank Leavitt) that Arlington County has its own plans for their portion of the Wilson site. County staff is meeting with a developer (Stuart Miller) with an orientation toward intensive development. This will include a new firehouse plus enough additional development to pay for the firehouse. County staff had not informed the community about these negotiations prior to yesteday, nor do they plan to invite us to the table now, because, "they know our position." But not to worry, say staff, the community will be invited to discussions after the County and developer unveil a plan. Further, County staff says that they will not work with APS if it holds to its current direction on Wilson; the County therefore is moving forward unilaterally.

Disgusting, destructive, disappointing.
Development interests never sleep.

Things are moving backward. The APS Board agreed on Jan 31, 2008 to Save Wilson School on the thinnest of margins. The recent kickback from the County has emboldened the anti-community Schoolboard minority to pose a rethink of the Board decision.

What to do? Time is short. Here's my plans, including something you can do.

1. The County Board meets on Tuesday June 17. I intend to attend that meeting and present a strong suggestion that the Board provide direction to their staff for the Wilson site. Staff is preparing to develop the site. The County Board must decide if this is the direction in which they want to go. My presentation will occur in the 'non agenda' public comment period, so it should happen early, likely around 7:15. I heartily invite you to join me. Note though: this will not be a good venue for a lot of speak out; County Board rules do not allow multiple voices on a ˜non agenda comment' issue.

2. The APS board will meet later that same night to discuss the broken negotiations and perhaps to retask staff. I intend to attend that meeting to present a community promise to push the County to engage with APS. The timing on this presentation is less clear. My guesstimate is that the issue will be heard around 8:30. Your presence could be very helpful. Multiple voices will be allowed. Our community has been extremely effective at many public meetings because we've spoken simply about the very strong reasons why Arlington should Save Wilson School.

Sorry about the short notice on this. If you have comments or suggestions please get back to me privately, or post your thoughts here.

mantell@northrosslyn.org

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post