Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two notes on Trailers at Wilson
 Login/Join 
posted
On June 3 I copied a note to this site indicating dissatisfaction and doubt concerning APS plans to replace and maintain all the existing trailers at Wilson. APS indicates that all the trailers and all the space within Wilson School will be required in support of two programs: preschool and High School. The note stated that you can't put that many sardines in the can. Safety and convenience would be jeopardized. The June 3 note can be found by scrolling to the bottom of this page and hitting the 'previous note' tab.

Below is a second note, sent just yesterday (June 6). This one was sent to Arlington County and asks for a review of the trailer emplacement against the applicable zoning. I express a belief that the trailers are, "A clear, long standing and damaging violation of zoning."

My note (addressed to Ms. Bell, Director of the Department of Community Planning, Housing, and Development), has been passed to the responsible official, Terry Russel, zoning administrator for Arlington County.

I think that we have a very strong legal position, but it surely would be nice to have some legal or zoning experience help. Any volunteers?

Mark Antell

--------------

Ms. Bell,

As you know, many in our neighborhood feel quite upset at the long-term unavailability of the athletic field at Wilson School.

I've recently reviewed the zoning for the Wilson School. It is zoned S3-A. The preamble to the detailed rules concerning S3-A states the following:

"The purpose of the ˜S-3A' Special District is to encourage the retention of certain properties in a relatively undeveloped state. Land so designated may include publicly or privately owned properties which have distinct and unique site advantages or other features so as to make them desireable to retain as active or passive recreation or for a scenic vista..."

I'm not an attorney. I'm not an expert in zoning. But it surely does seem to me that the current and planned emplacement of trailers on the Wilson athletic field is a clear, long-standing, and damaging violation of the county zoning ordinance. I'd like to discuss with you the process whereby I can request an evaluation of the current usage of the Wilson site against its zoning.

Mark Antell, President
North Rosslyn Civic Association

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mark Antell,

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post