Find
Notify
Tools

Meeting with Ron Carlee, Arlington County Manager
 Login/Join 
posted
Report on Meeting with Ron Carlee, County Manager - August 17, 2006

Background:
On July 8, I spoke at a County Board meeting, complaining that NRCA was unable to find a way to get involved in ongoing planning for the Wilson School site. Mr. Carlee responded that he would meet with us. I sent an email and talked with his secretary by phone several times but still, well over a month later, I had yet to obtain any agreement on a meeting date. I dropped by the county offices yesterday (August 17) to discuss a formal complaint with the County Board. Mr. Fisettte's secretary recommended that I physically drop by Mr. Carlee's office. When I did so, Mr Carlee's secretary apologized at the lack of response, saying that my request for meetings had ˜slipped between the cracks.' Mr Carlee then invited me to his office and apologized further.

Meeting:
Mr. Carlee then moved to the topic of the Wilson School site. He indicated that yes, there were ongoing discussions with the School Board (and others?). Some basic decisions had been reached:

1. There is no present need for a school at the Wilson School site; and this is unlikely to change.
2. The Wilson School could possibly be used for swing space or administrative space, but the land is too valuable not to develop.
3. The method of development would be a public-private partnership.
4. There would be some area set aside for a park

I responded that I was quite upset with these decisions for the following reasons.
1. Central Rosslyn is hostile to families in that there is no playfield. There used to be a playfield; it's now covered by trailers; but when it was there it was heavily used. No playfield, no kids; that's sort of self-fulfilling.
2. Planning seems to have gone a long way, particularly given that the public has not had a chance at involvement.
3. I guessed that the park that is now being planned would likely be quite small. Perhaps it should be named "Lost Playfield Park."

I also noted that there are no plans in 2007 to use the trailers which right now cover the Wilson School playfield. Why not pull them away, now, so that people can play? I pointed out that there was no permit for these trailers. We in Rosslyn, as a community, have tolerated them because they had a function. But they are on land zoned as greenspace. I asked whether the county might not enforce that zoning. In response, Mr. Carlee told me that he was unsure of the zoning of the playfield.

Mr. Carlee told me that his staff would shortly try to set up meetings with NRCA and with RAFOM at an agreed time to discuss plans for the Wilson School site.

Mark Antell
August 18, 2006

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post