Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upcoming Events and Strategy on Wilson School.
 Login/Join 
posted
Upcoming Events and Strategy on Wilson School.

On May 31, the Arlington Public Schools (APS) board has a work session on Wilson School. Arlington Citizens for Art has asked its members to attend en masse with buttons identifying themselves, "I love art and I vote." I think that some green groups will also attend with green-oriented IDs (I plan to wear both IDs, as will many). I also plan to bring green paper for those who'd like to make a statement. I cannot recommend that people stay very long at this meeting. It will be dull. The public will not be given a chance to speak.
And it will be a session of unanswerable propaganda from school staff.

The June 7 APS meeting is scheduled as a decisional meeting. We should encourage people to attend and speak. This date may slide. As soon as APS makes its decision we should plan an en masse visit to the County Board..

Save Wilson School will be televised this Tuesday at 11:54:40 PM on Arlington Public Access - Comcast channel 69, Verison channel 38.

We've discussed a neighborhood social to screen the movie.
Problem: Wilson School is only available on Monday evenings. Screening requires some equipment. Paul Derby has the equipment but is not available on Monday evenings. Anne and I need to huddle on this.

Paul Derby has come up with a very exciting approach! APS is moving unilaterally to replace trailers. APS has avoided all County permit requirements in the past concerning the trailers, asserting that they do not need to meet county use-permit requirements. Paul has asked Arlington County staff tough questions; and has finally pushed them to concede that APS is in fact governed by zoning rules.
Paul has filed a request that Arlington County enforce zoning rules at Wilson. We should join his request as individuals and as an organization.
Contributed legal research effort would be helpful and very much appreciated.

Paul also notes that the APS policy on relocatables (trailers) is not being followed at Wilson School. We probably should bring this up to the APS board.

The Washington Post met with Stan Karson and Mark Antell to discuss the film. An article is scheduled to run this Thursday.

Dave Schultz of the Arlington Connection attended our last meeting. He's also working on an article.

I've seen several of our posters around the neighborhood. Nice. Joe Famme intends to distribute them at Highgate. Paul Derby has made a major breakthru at The Gallery. They will now post our material. We need to develop reliable contacts at several other condos and apartments. I volunteer to work on Key Blvd Apartments. Volunteers are welcome.

The nearby Colonial Village Neighborhood is finally beginning to awaken. We are keeping them notified.

Here's something important that we can all do. Let's enourage groups to speak out on Wilson School and Playfield . Several Condo Boards have called for preservation including Prospect House, The Atrium, Georgetown Vista, and The Belvedere. I'm in touch with Arlingtonians for a Cleaner Environment; and also I hope to speak to The Green Party. Joe Famme says that the Republican Party of Arlington likely will take a preservationist position. Please notify NRCA and/or RAFOM if your group does take a stand.

Note: I'm out of town May 23 to May 30.

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The APS board delayed both their discussion meeting and decision meeting. I see their delay as a sign that they are confused and uncertain. Hurray!!

At least one school board member has told me, privately, "Saw your film. I'm on your side."

The new date for the APS worksession meeting is June 12 at 7:30 in the Education Center on Quincy. The arts community is planning to turn out for that meeting to express support for using Wilson as an arts center. Rosslyn residents are encouraged to attend and show support for Wilson preservation.

You will not be allowed to speak at this meeting. So just wear a home-made button or carry a sign. I cannot encourage anyone to stay through the entire meeting. It will be long and it will be heavily dominated by the community-insensitive APS facilities staff.

The decisional meeting is scheduled for 6/19.
We should attend. We the public will have the right to speak at that meeting. More info on this as it becomes available.

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post