Query on Wilson School to Candidates for School Board
 Login/Join 
posted
5/16/06
The Future of the Wilson School and Playfield:
A Query to Announced Candidates for Arlington County School Board
TO (in alphabetic order): Sally Baird, Sharon Davis, Cecilia Espenoza

REQUEST FOR FEEDBACK
We the leaders of the two Civic Associations adjacent to the Wilson School, request feedback from each of you concerning the future of the Wilson School and Playfield; and we promise to publicize your thoughts to the community

BACKGROUND
The Wilson School is today utilized as ˜swing space' for various schools undergoing renovation. As good neighbors, the current tenants of the Wilson School (Nottingham School) have allowed community organizations to use their classroom space for meetings.

The ˜swing space' use has, however, come at a serious cost to our community. Ten years ago the Wilson School playfield was heavily utilized in our community; almost any day of the year you could find groups of children and young adults playing soccer or other sports. With the ˜swing school' use that playfield has been converted into a ˜parking lot' for temporary classrooms.

We understand that the utilization of both the Wilson School and the Playfield are once again undergoing review. We further understand that the need for the temporary classrooms is not so pressing: they are nearing the end of their useful life, and there is no school scheduled to need ˜swing space' anytime soon.

OUR CONCERN
We are concerned about the future of the Wilson School and its Playfield. We've heard rumors from well-placed sources that the whole parcel might be sold for a private venture. That would be shortsighted. The space may not be absolutely necessary for educational needs today, but who knows what Rosslyn demographics may look like in a decade? If the Wilson School location were lost to private development it could never be replaced. We think that the Wilson School building should be preserved and perhaps used for offices now. And we strongly feel that the Wilson School Playfield should be restored because it really is the only playfield within a mile of downtown Rosslyn. The Civic Associations have talked to their people. We have received almost uniform feedback. Neighborhood residents want the Wilson School building retained and the Wilson School playfield restored.

Thanks.

Mark Antell
Acting President, North Rosslyn Civic Association

Stan Karson
President, Radnor/Fort Myer Heights (RAFOM) Civic Association

(reply to my-time@earthlink.net and dcstan@aol.com)

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attended a School Board candidates' forum at Key School on May 16. Representing NorthRosslyn and our neighboring association (RAFOM), I asked each of the candidates about Wilson School plans. The message from each of the candidates was cheering:

Sharon Davis said she did not favor private redevelopment of school land. The School Board shouldn't sell off land; and it should better involve neighborhoods in planning.
Cecelia Espenoza said that selling off land is often shortsighted. Previous sell-offs in Arlington are now regretted. Cecilia also said that the community is often unfortunately the last group contacted in these kinds of decisions. The School Board should encourage better and earlier involvement of the community.
Sally Baird said that green space is what attracts young couples and their children to the community. It should not be lost.

We expect written responses and will post them as received.

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I attended part of the school board's public hearing on its CIP tonight. I got there too late to speak, but I was able to mention the NRCA's interest in preserving the Wilson school greenspace to one of the board members at the end of the hearing before they went into their work session. She thought they might not get to the Wilson school discussion tonight because so many more pressing issues were to be addressed.

Posts: 11 | Registered: June 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post