New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailers and Plans
 Login/Join 
posted
Yeah the trailers are back.

First a little bit of good news. On August 9 the Arlington Public School Board refused to approve the Superintendent's proposal concerning long term plans for Wilson. The Superintendent's recommendation stressed revenue (ie. development of the site). The board told him to come back with an orientation toward public good. APS Board member Ed Fendley was particularly outspoken for us.

NRCA (Mulligan and Antell), RAFOM and Colonial Village III representatives attended the meeting. We all focused on Superintendent's proposal. I included some words about the trailers in my written statement, but I couldn't get to them without rushing and diluting my main point. There's only so much you can say in a brief statement.

In the near future I propose to raise our disappointment about the trailers to APS Board and to the Arlington County Board. I'll continue to provide notice and reports to NRCA.
Please do consider turning out. Yes, these meetings can be quite boring; but substantial attendance from the community will be helpful. I propose below some thoughts on which we might focus on in our discussion with decision makers. Comments and suggestions are welcome. So are volunteers to help get our message across.

-------
With regards APS, I think we should primarily ask that they establish a timeframe for removing the trailers. Do they really want to establish a precedent that neighborhoods which accept some inconvenience for the overall County good will be permanently burdened?

Rosslyn residents will have an opportunity to speak with the APS Superintendent soon.
I received the following note from Cecilia Cassidy of Rosslyn Renaissance a couple of days ago: "Rosslyn Renaissance office will be the site of a "Superintendent's Chat" on Tuesday, August 21. I believe that it is at 6:00 p.m., though I will have to confirm the time."
Reservations are necessary and should be called in to RR at 703.522.6628.

As many of you know, Arlington County did issue a permit for reinstallation of the trailers. I'm thinking of a report/complaint to the County about our experiences with the trailers on three bases:
1. Process: How could a permit be requested and issued for the trailers as 'temporary classrooms?' That is so cynical. No time frame is given for the end of this permit. How long is temporary? Temporary shouldn't mean a decade or two.
The public expects posted notices when a significant permit is requested. Your staff argues that there is no such requirement for very substantial projects like these trailers. The process does not meet public expectations.
2. Orientation to the public: While we were discussing theoretical and legal issues concerning this permit with zoning staff, the zoning staff was reviewing and issuing the permit. We were not given notice of this till the permit was issued. Sloppiness? Or cynical tricksterism?
3. Rules: The zoning statute covering Wilson states that its purpose is to preserve green space for recreation. How does covering the only athletic field in Rosslyn comport with that requirement? It doesn't. But apparently county zoning staff feels that certain portions of the zoning statutes have no meaning and should be ignored. That's dreadful. One should not have to be a specialized attorney to know which parts of the statute are real and which have no effect. The Arlington County board should not allow such a situation to continue.

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark's e-mail also noted that a summer chat with the APS Supintentend is taking place tomorrow, August 21, at the Rosslyn Renaissance Office at 6pm. All of the other "chats" are scheduled in homes so I am most vexed that the Superintendent Staff's didn't identify a "home" albeit in a townhouse or condo community room. While I would have no objection to him meeting at Rosslyn REnaisance, if other "chats" were at other business quarters in Virginia Square or the like-- they're not. Those are in 'homes', you know single family detached.

That said it is a venue to engage the Superintendent, and I hope lots of you and your neighbors will attend. June O'Connell

Posts: 7 | Registered: June 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post