Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update from County Board Meeting
 Login/Join 
posted
Mark Antell spoke for NRCA at the County Board during the public comment period this AM. Mark noted that we are receiving credible rumors that planners are actively looking at redevelopment of the Wilson School, Playfield, Firestation and Rosslyn Highlands Park.
Mark requested that county planners involve the affected communities sooner than later.
Jay Fisette, Paul Ferguson (Board Vice-Chair) and Chris Zimmerman (Board Chair) all made substantial and fairly positive verbal responses.
Also, Ron Carlee (County Manager, promised to meet with us soon. More will be posted on this site concerning meeting dates as soon as they are available.
The County Board meeting will be televised for the next two weeks on cable channel 74 on M and Th at 5, and on Saturday at 10:30. The discussion on Wilson School starts with a two minute presentation about 10 minutes in, and then picks up again at around 45 minutes in.
Mark Antell

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Copy of note from Mark Antell sent via EMail on 7/20 to North Rosslyn Civic Association members (plus a few friends):

I went to the County Board meeting on Saturday July 8. During the open comment period I spoke, indicating that we had received several credible reports that County Staff had begun planning for redevelopment of the Wilson School and adjacent properties (Wilson Playfield, Wilson FireStation, and Rosslyn Heights Park). I asked that County staff engage with the neighborhood before plans had progressed very far.

One encouraging outcome of the meeting is that Ron Carlee, County Manager, promised to meet with us, soon, to discuss the basic purpose of such redevelopment. This is quite an opportunity! I'd like to make sure make sure that everyone is onboard, because honestly, we don't stand much of a chance to get what we want, unless we are in pretty good consensus from the start.

The executive board of NRCA suggests the following approach for our meeting with Mr. Carlee:
1. We propose (below) some basic principles about the use of this space. No surprises here, we've been talking about these principles via web and general meetings for several months.
2. We request your review and comment on these principles. If need be, let's meet.
3. We propose that we limit the meeting with Mr. Carlee to the NRCA executive board plus a few activists. Kindly get in touch with me if you are interested in joining.
4. Our sister neighborhood association on the other side of Wilson Blvd, Radnor-Ft.Myers Heights Civic Association (RAFOM), wants to work with us on this. Likely both neighborhoods will go together to the meeting with Mr. Carlee.
5. There was some mixed opinion about inviting Rosslyn Renaissance to become involved. I propose that we invite RR to join with us if they can generally agree with our approach. If they have not yet worked out a position, we invite them to participate as observers.

Here's the draft principles for your review:

1. Green space is a priority. Sophisticated world-class cities and neighborhoods have central parks. In 30 years when all of Rosslyn-Balston is built up, we'll maybe be proud of our world-class Wilson Park.
2. We are quite wary about redeveloping Wilson School to commercial or residential use. Wilson School is now used by several community associations. Shouldn't it be saved as a community center? Do we know we won't need a school structure at that location within two or three decades??
3. We are flat opposed to a philosophy that anything with paving or construction must be developed, while current green space is open to negotiation. Perhaps much of the currently paved area could and should be returned to green space.

Finally, NRCA and RAFOM will shortly meet with the county school superintendant, Dr. Robert Smith, to initiate similar discussions. We expect to bring the same principles to the table.

What do youall think?

Mark Antell, President NRCA

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark.... This is ALL good news and aligns with the wishes of everyone I've talked with in the neighborhood. Regarding involvement by Rosslyn Renaissance/Rosslyn BID, I would suggest we keep the door open for their participation and let them decide if they wish to not participate if any conflict of interest situations develop on their part. The only conflict of interest I could imagine is if one of their supporting organizations decides to pursue the Wilson School area for commercial development.

Hope the meetings and work lead to an eventual preservation of this small green space and keeping the school building or school building replacement a part of the community.

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post