Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

APS files in court to avoid "trailerpark" hearing.
 Login/Join 
posted
At their Dec 18 meeting, the Arlington Public School (APS) Board voted to file suit in VA circuit court to overturn our recent victory before the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). That BZA determination requires a public hearing on the use of our playfield as a "trailerpark." Interestingly, the APS suit pits the School Board against the County. Interesting.

I intend to speak to this situation at the APS board meeting of 1/3/08 (APS building on Quincy just north of Washington and Lee). My presentation should be heard early in the meeting, probably around 7:45 or 8:00 PM. Feel free to join me then.

Mark Antell, President
North Rosslyn Civic Association

PS. Below you'll see a synopsis of my planned presentation. Your comments are always welcome.

-------------------
Planned Presentation to APS Board on 1/3/08

At your Dec 18 Board meeting, you voted to file suit in VA circuit court to overturn a determination of the Board of Zoning Appeals concerning use permit requirements. We were the complainants who generated this determination.

I have requested extra time so as to cover the following points:

1. If it stands, the BZA determination would require that APS seek a use permit when some activity might greatly modify the use of a property. Just two months ago you agreed with Arlington County to change your procedure in accord with exactly this principle! Why sue to overturn what you've already agreed to?
2. Initiating a suit against the BZA determination means that taxpayers will pay for legal work of both the plaintiff (APS) and defendant (Arlington County). Good use of scarce resources?
3. APS senior staff, and at least some members of the board, appear to be committed to intensive development at Wilson School. It's the wrong position. Kids and young adults need playfields. A school board shouldn't be creating child-hostile neighborhoods.
4. The decision to go forward with this suit likely occurred in one of those closed meetings that the APS board holds on a regular basis. We don't know what youall (the APS Board) have been told about the BZA determination. It is possible that you think we in North Rosslyn will move rapidly to throw the current trailer occupants out on the street. That is not so. We are on record, both in writing and verbally, that the Children's School should remain at Wilson while their home is being renovated.

But it's been over a decade that we've lived with "temporary" trailers covering our playfield. Get rid of the trailers after the Children's School leaves.

Mark Antell, President
North Rosslyn Civic Association

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Background: Last year several NRCA members argued before the Board of Zoning Appeals that APS must meet zoning standards when they add or replace trailers on our playfield. We won. APS then filed an appeal with the Circuit Court

Status: APS met with Paul Mulligan and Mark Antell of NRCA on March 26 to discuss an out of court settlement. We left thinking that it would be useful to continue negotiating. Please contact me directly (mantell@northrosslyn.org) if you'd like to see detailed minutes of our meeting

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post