New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rosslyn sector plan addendum
 Login/Join 
NRCA Director
posted
Here is the link to the Rosslyn Sector Plan addendum that will be adopted on June 14 in closed session.
http://www.arlingtonva.us/depa...Scope%20June%203.pdf

Posts: 75 | Registered: March 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The draft version of the 2012 Rosslyn Sector Plan Addendum, Scope of Work document has been revised. Proposed changes to the originally posted June 3, 2011, draft are shown in red underline/strikethrough. The revised file can be found via the same web page link in the original message, or can also be accessed directly via this web link: http://www.arlingtonva.us/depa...une%2013%20scope.pdf

Posts: 285 | Registered: January 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rosslyn is underserved for child and family recreation space. The study proposal for a Rosslyn Sector Plan Addendum does not mention this, nor does it include one word about the Wilson site, probably the only possible location for playfields. With Jennifer's support I forwarded my concerns to County Staff and Walt Tejada. Walt did vote against the study plan (alas, it passed 4:1), because it "cuts corners" and "misses an opportunity (for comprehensive planning)."

I include below my communication thread with Walt.

Mark Antell
------------------------
Re: THANKS WALT - Re: Rosslyn Sector Plan Amendment versus Family Recreation Space
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:33 PM

To: "mark antell"

Thanks very much for your feedback Mark, I appreciate it. I also appreciated your taking time on June 13 to share your views before the Board meeting. In addition, I want to also thank you for your advocacy in support of open space in Rosslyn, it is certainly an area that needs it.

So, we all now move on to do our part to make the approved addendum a success.

Thanks again and see you soon,
Walter

--------------------------
June 20 from Mark Antell to Walt Tejada

> Hello Walt,
>
> I've reviewed the County Board video record of discussion of a Rosslyn Sector Plan Amendment.
>
> I appreciate your vote against the current initial planning document because, as you said, it "cuts corners" and "misses an opportunity (for comprehensive planning)."
>
> So, Thanks for your vote.
>
> Best,
> Mark Antell
>
-----------------------------------
Mon, 6/13/11,
>
Subject: Rosslyn Sector Plan Amendment versus Family Recreation Space
To: wtejada@arlingtonva.us

Walt,
>
I write to you out my continuing concern about the lack of adequate recreation space for families and young adults in my North Rosslyn community. The issue which drives this note is a proposed "Rosslyn Sector Plan Amenrdment" study which will provide the basis for planning Rosslyn development over the next decade. I understand that the County Board is scheduled to consider this study plan at its meeting on June 14.
>
I limited my review of the proposed study to the section on "Parks and Open Space." Also, I reviewed the document as it is, rather than how it may appear on Tuesday, June 14. Stan Karson tells me that the document may undergo some significant changes in exactly the places where I am concerned. He tells me that he expects that this study proposal will be revised by Tuesday to discuss only the Core Rosslyn Business area. I'd likely change my conclusions somewhat if that revision happens.
>
Having said all that, I'm unhappy with the "Parks and Open Space" section. It mentions, but provides no framework for doing anything about family recreation space for Rosslyn. Rather it focuses mostly on Gateway Park. It's a good idea to think about improved use for Gateway Park; it is a good (potentially excellent), venue space. But in the absence of some major unspecified reconstruction it would be difficult to use Gateway Park for family rec space because it is bounded by heavy automobile traffic.
>
What is missing is any mention of the Wilson Tract including the Wilson School, Wilson Playfields, Rosslyn Highlands Park, Rosslyn Firestation, and Pedestrian Pathway. Rosslyn lacks family recreation space. The most obvious place (perhaps the only place) where this need could be accommodated is the Wilson Tract. So a study of the Rosslyn community "Parks and Open Space" needs simply must discuss the Wilson tract.
>
Best,
>
Mark Antell

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post