North Rosslyn Civic Association Home Page    NRCA Collaboration Area    North Rosslyn Civic Association Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussions  Hop To Forums  Crime Watch    Second District (Rosslyn area) Crime and Activity Bulletin - through Feb 13, 2013
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second District (Rosslyn area) Crime and Activity Bulletin - through Feb 13, 2013
 Login/Join

posted
Second District Monthly Crime Report (North)
January 15, 2013 – February 13, 2013

Significant Incidents:

BURGLARY , 01/14/13, 2500 block of N. 10th Road. Between 4 pm on January 11 and 10 am on January 14, an unknown subject(s) broke into a construction site after gaining entrance through a broken window. The subject(s) stole copper wire. There is no suspect(s) description

ROBBERY , 01/17/13, 2700 block of N. Wilson Boulevard. At 10:26 am on January 17, a victim identified his stolen bicycle on the front rack of a bus. The victim placed his current bike in front of his stolen one on the rack and boarded the bus. The victim rode the bus one stop, got off, and then removed both bicycles from the bus rack. While doing this, the victim was confronted by a subject. The subject punched the victim in the face and then proceeded to steal the victim’s new bicycle. The victim was able to take pictures of the suspect. The suspect is described as a 35 year old black male, 6’0” tall and 180 lbs. At the time of the incident, the subject was wearing black pants, a dark jacket, a dark skullcap, and light Nike shoes.

BURGLARY, 01/28/13, 1500 block of N. Wilson Boulevard. Between 5 pm on January 18 and 10:55 am on January 28, an unknown subject(s) broke into a commercial building. The suspect(s) used a tool to force entry into a room within the building and stole eight laptops. There is no suspect(s) description.

BURGLARY, 01/28/13, 2500 block of N. Wilson Boulevard. Between 6:30 pm on January 25 and 11:19 am on January 28, an unknown subject(s) broke into a commercial building. The subject(s) forced entry into an office using a tool. Two laptops were stolen. There is no suspect(s) description.

ROBBERY , 02/04/13, 1800 block of N. Fort Myer Drive. At 9:02 pm on February 4, a victim was walking to the metro when he was approached by two unknown subjects. One of the subjects grabbed the victim and made a verbal threat. The victim was able to break free from the subject and flee to safety by foot. The suspect that grabbed the victim is described as a black male between the ages of 16 and 18. At the time of the incident, the subject was wearing a black ski mask and dark pants. There is no suspect description for the second subject.

BURGLARY, 02/11/13, 1400 block of N. Taft Street. Between 1 am and 11 pm on February 10, an unknown subject(s) entered an apartment and stole a wallet and keys. Another resident of the same apartment complex found the keys in her apartment and also discovered that her car had been stolen from the garage. There is no suspect(s) description.

Stolen Vehicles:
Stolen Auto: 02/11/13, 2012 Subaru Impreza, White, 1400 block of N. Taft Street

Crime Prevention Tips:

Now that winter is upon us we just wanted to remind everyone that leaving your car running unattended is not a good idea. Just like leaving your car unlocked or valuables in your car, leaving your car running unattended makes you a target for a crime, not to mention that it is a violation of law.

Test-True or False

1) If I park my car in my driveway I do not need to lock my doors?
2) If I don’t leave anything of value in sight in my car, my car won’t be broken into?
3) It is a good idea to leave a spare key to my car in my car?
4) If I am a victim of a crime I should wait till I get home to report it?
5) If I see something suspicious I should just email the civic association president or police?

Answers

1) False-we have had cars entered that were parked in driveways. Always lock your car. We continue to receive reports of larcenies from automobiles where the vehicle was left unlocked.
2) False-cars have been entered even if items of value are out of sight. Even leaving change in your car attracts thieves.
3) False-leaving keys in the car makes your car an easy target to steal.
4) False-Call as soon as you can from the location that the incident occurred if safe to do so.
5) False-Call the non-emergency police phone number (703-558-2222) as soon as possible and provide as much info as possible so an officer can respond as soon as possible.

Below are some tips from the AARP website regarding scams:

The Sweepstakes Swindles

Sweepstakes and lottery scams are a 365-day concern for older Americans, who are specifically targeted. Here's how these scams work: You receive a series of letters and emails notifying you that you're a winner. The problem is, you're requested to pay processing fees or expenses to receive your jackpot and to "prove" your identity by providing personal information prized by identity thieves.

Here's what you should know:

• If you didn't enter, you didn't win. Period.
  • You never have to pay anything upfront to redeem a legitimate prize.
  • If you receive a partial-payment check for winning, it's a scam.
  • Foreign lotteries are not open to U.S. residents.
  • Never provide personal information such as a driver's license or passport number.
  • It's a scam if the fine print lacks any of the following info: start and end dates; judging date; methods of entry, including judging criteria; type of proof of purchase required; description of prizes and approximate retail values; legal disclaimers; and sponsor's name and address.

STREET LIGHTS

The Department of Environmental Services, Transportation Engineering Division, has responsibility for 14,000 street lights throughout the County. The Signals Operations Team maintains 1,400 of those street lights while the remainder is serviced by Dominion Virginia Power. If you would like to report a street light that is out, or request installation of a new street light please use the following link to get additional information:
http://www.arlingtonva.us/depa...talServicesHb14.aspx .

Arlington Alert – A great way to stay informed and receive timely information: https://www.arlingtonalert.com/index.php?CCheck=1

To report an abandoned bicycle: 703-228-4057. You will need to describe the bicycle, note the address where the bicycle is located, and tell us how long the bike has been there.

To report an abandoned vehicle on a county street: (703) 228-4144.

To report Graffiti on public or private property: 703-558-2222

[B]Police reports can be made Online:
http://www.arlingtonva.us/depa...ew/start-report.html

Child Safety Seats Installation Inspections- 703-228-BABY.

To report suspicious activity, please call 703-558-2222.

For emergencies, call 911

Second District Team Members:

Captain Andy Penn
Officer J. Stanley
Officer D. Stright
Officer D. Smaldore
Officer J. Horvath
Officer I. Ruiz

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post