New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noisy 'Beer Festival' in Gateway Park
 Login/Join 
posted
Letter below was sent last week.
I received confirmation today from Mr. Vihstadt's secretary that we should expect a response.
Mark

--------------------------------

Mr. John Vihstadt
Member, Arlington County Board

Dear Mr Vihstadt,

Many residents in our neighborhood, North Rosslyn, are concerned with upcoming events scheduled for Gateway Park. Last year several events were unreasonably noisy. While complaints were filed with the police and Code Enforcement, neither the police nor Code Enforcement responded substantively.

One event in particular stands out: The Beer Festival. For 12 hours our neighborhood was subjected to constant pounding from the amplification despite our calls to police. We've seen other events at Gateway Park (like movies and some concerts) where sound was controlled. But for this event the volume was 'up' and the speakers were aimed at our homes. If the sound can't be controlled, we'd prefer that Arlington not allow the use of Gateway Park for the Beer Festival.

We ask that events in Gateway Park be cognizant and considerate of the residents who live by the Park and that reasonable noise controls be put in place.

Mark Antell, North Rosslyn Civic Association Director
Bill Maron, North Rosslyn Civic Association Member

cc. NRCA Board of Directors
Leslie Pelzer, Arlington Code Enforcement

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Response received today (3/25) from John Vihstadt
------------------------
RE: Noise from events in Gateway Park/Antell John Vihstadt <Jvihstadt@arlingtonva.us>
To mark antell
Today at 5:21 PM

Dear Mark:

Belated thanks for writing about noise and other code enforcement issues in connection with special events at Gateway Park in Rosslyn. While we want our parks to be hospitable to special events and occasions, we also need to be mindful of residential neighbors and applicable Arlington code requirements, including the Noise Ordinance.

I have copied my assistant Cathy O’Malley to facilitate putting your concerns through our official GRAM system for investigation and response. Due to heavy mail volume, this may take a few weeks.

I would also encourage you to share your concerns with the Rosslyn BID, which sometimes sponsors or participates in various festivals and other community activities.

Thank you again for writing and please continue to keep in touch on all local concerns.

Regards,
JEV John E. Vihstadt
Member, Arlington County Board
2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 300
Arlington, VA 22201

jvihstadt@arlingtonva.us

703-228-3130

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post