Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed Rosslyn Site Plan Conditions -- please comment
 Login/Join 
posted
The Rosslyn Renaissance Urban Design Committee is developing a series of standard site plan conditions for Rosslyn development projects requiring site plan approval from the county. Attached in draft form are the proposed conditions, which were discussed during the committee meeting on December 12. If you have any recommendations for additions or modifications to the attached list, please post them as replies to this message. The committee will be addressing the list at its next meeting January 16, 2008. Comments received prior to that time will be considered by NRCA for recommendation to Rosslyn Renaissance.

PDF DocDraft_Rosslyn_Site_Plan_Conditions.pdf (89 Kb, 585 downloads) draft Rosslyn Site Plan Conditions

Posts: 285 | Registered: January 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jennifer for requesting comment on the Rosslyn Renaissance draft guidelines/ recommendations for community benefits we would want in exchange for allowing developers to build high-density offices and residences.

Here's my thoughts.

What is most missing from our community? Green space has to be high on the list.

So .... perhaps we should exchange density rights for donation or preservation of green space. I know it's hard to find any land that's not already built on, but there are a few spots. For example (caveat - the list below is far from comprehensive):

1. There's a substantial unused National Park Service lot north of the Custis trail with a possible access point next to the Marriott parking lot. A trail from the Custis trail could linkup, through parkland, directly to the trail above the GW Parkway that terminates at Dawson Terrace Park.
I attach a map describing this idea - note that the two small red double arrows would be new trail, the large double red arrow is existing trail.

2. Or perhaps a high-density developer could provide resources to assure that any redevelopment of our few remaining older apartments like Washington Vista (and its important path!) or the Key Boulevard Apartments will retain the green areas that they presently have. Absent such investment these apartments will likely be redeveloped to higher density and greatly reduced greenspace. Saving or even increasing greenspace for ourselves and for the future would be a great community benefit.

3. Perhaps a high-density developer can find and donate some small lots for additional community gardens or maybe a small dog run or maybe even a tennis court. In that regard perhaps The Atrium would be willing to sell their tennis court thereby making it available to the public.

Mark Antell

Trail to Dawson Terrace?

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello again Jennifer, All,

I've received a couple of positive responses to my earlier letter about exchanging density rights for donation or preservation of green space. Both writers suggested additions to my (incomplete) list of worthwhile greenspace projects in our neighborhood.

Bernard Huon-Dumentat has suggested preservation of "the little forest" behind the Colonial House furniture store. Robert Swennes suggests that resources could help break the log-jam on the 1101 Lee Highway site by developing it as a boathouse.

Mark Antell

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree entirely. "Preservation/enhancement of green space" would be an excellent addition to the list of requirements and would serve the community well. I will pass this suggestion along to RR.

Jennifer

Posts: 285 | Registered: January 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post