Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should Gateway Park become a convention center?
 Login/Join

posted

Question:
Proposals are being considered to build a convention center at Gateway Park (the park between the commercial portion of Rosslyn and the Key Bridge) relocating the park to the top of the convention center. You can indicate your support, concerns, ideas or opposition to this use of Rosslyn through this poll and your comments.

Choices:
I'm all in favor of using this space as a convention center
I don't know yet, but may support this effort if I knew more
I'm totally opposed to this use of Gateway Park

Posts: 417 | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This would convert a green park into a convention center. Bad idea, bad precedent. Mark Antell
Chair, Georgetown Vista Condominium Association
Vice President, North Rosslyn Community Assoc.

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like the planning commission to consider the recently vacated Newseum building as a possible site for the convention center.

Posts: 6 | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be a good idea to have a little more information before we take a vote. As I understand the proposal, the Center would be no higher than approximately the current Ft. Myer Drive overpass. On top of the center there would be a new park that would rectify some of the existing problems with the current Gateway Park: better access, not as chopped up with different levels, separated by elevation from the surrounding noisy roads. It could be a chance to make Gateway Park much more useable. The Convention Center and associated changes to N. Moore St and 19th Street could also improve Rosslyn's retail and street life, and I've heard there may even be some residential space in the master plan.

My rumors may be all wrong, but we do need some more information on this matter.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of the architect's 'conceptual drawing' of a convention center at Gateway Park (much thanks to John Seals, NorthRosslyn's representative to the Rosslyn Business Improvement District). The drawing is very fuzzy, but it sure looks to me like the proposed convention center would be as tall as the buildings around the Gateway park, that is to say well over a dozen stories high. It appears to include a monumental arch over Fort Meyer Drive, with thick legs standing on both blocks of Gateway Park.

I spoke for NorthRosslyn at the Arlington County
Board meeting on July 19 asking that our community association be well informed and involved in any such plan. I also expressed concern (not absolute opposition, but rather concern) about converting a park to a commercial use. Mr. Ferguson responded for the board with assurance that NorthRosslyn would be fully notified of any proposal.

I hope that we will discuss this plan at our next meeting which I believe is scheduled for August 10.

Mark Antell
VP NorthRosslyn Community Association

[This message was edited by Paul Derby on July 22, 2003 at 11:29 PM.]

Posts: 319 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For now, I would like to see a better drawing of the proposed site from all angles.

Posts: 14 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that the County Board has signaled that it is not interested in the baseball stadium in Arlington, it asked the county staff on July 17 to start negotiations with the owners of the site at Army Navy Drive & South Fern Street as the preferred location for the conference center. (This was one of the 3 sites being considered for the baseball stadium.)

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ken Marcus>
posted
Paul Ferguson has also confirmed for me that he expects that Pentagon City, rather than Rosslyn, will be the likely site of any future conference center.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ken Marcus>
posted
Looks like this issue is still not settled. At last night's Committee of 100 meeting, Arlington County Economic Development offcial Adam Wasserman confirmed that the Pentagon City site is the primary potential conference center location identified by county staff and selected by the County Board for further negotiation. However, he also stated that Rosslyn Gateway remains one of the two alternative sites which the county may consider in the event that the Pentagon City site does not work out. So it's not over until it's over.

<Ken Marcus>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Marcus:
Looks like this issue is still not settled. At last night's Committee of 100 meeting, Arlington County Economic Development official Adam Wasserman confirmed that the Pentagon City site is the primary potential conference center location identified by county staff and selected by the County Board for further negotiation. However, he also stated that Rosslyn Gateway remains one of the two alternative sites which the county may consider in the event that the Pentagon City site does not work out. So it's not over until it's over.